Community > Forum > Technology & Science > What causes gravity and how can it be utilized inSpaceTravel

What causes gravity and how can it be utilized inSpaceTravel

Posted by: Max CR - Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm
 [ 15 posts ] 
What causes gravity and how can it be utilized inSpaceTravel 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post What causes gravity and how can it be utilized inSpaceTravel   Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm
I was just thinking about what causes gravity and how knowing this answer could be the answer to unlimited energy and space travel. I am interested in finding out what exactly causes gravity but I can’t find a website which clearly explains this probably because there is no definite answer. I am interested in finding out what theories there are for this question.

Also, I was watching an episode of “The Universeâ€

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm
How can you claim, that you can't find a website on the subject, if you clearly haven't tried wikipedia yet.

There is plenty of information about gravity there, as well as some alternative theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 7:13 pm
Thanks for the link, What I mint to say is that all websites I've fecund have found the answer to be inconclusive

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 9:44 pm
I believe it to be the Graviton. I'm hoping the sern colider helps us understand more. The weak force is the key to everything we need right now. Everything we do will change if we discover the make up of the weak force or can even postulate it's true nature. Good Luck with this one.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
This would be akin to revealing the hand of god.

Monroe Lee King Jr.
Team Prometheus

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 am
The best, most comprehensive answer I seen concerning the actual mechanics of how gravity actually works is by Harold Aspden.
http://www.aspden.org
I don't know that he's right, but his math makes a LOT of sense and his physics has predicted some things which have subsequently been observed and no one else has explanations for (like the quantized red shift of galaxies).
It's pretty far out there tho...

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am
VAXHeadroom wrote:
The best, most comprehensive answer I seen concerning the actual mechanics of how gravity actually works is by Harold Aspden.
http://www.aspden.org
I don't know that he's right, but his math makes a LOT of sense and his physics has predicted some things which have subsequently been observed and no one else has explanations for (like the quantized red shift of galaxies).
It's pretty far out there tho...

Thanks for the link. I am going to have to read that when I get the chance.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 am
A quick study of this if not anything interesting dissertation on physics does not solve the gravity equation or actually attempt a real answer I can see.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 am
Upon reading the word "creation", I lost any interest in reading any further. However I forced myself to at least skip through a few paragraphs and what I found was rubbish like
Quote:
Given such an aether, the problem then is how to overcome other errors in our physical picture of things and construct a power generating system that can replicate our sun's energy source, falsely deemed to be attributable to nuclear fusion of its hydrogen atoms.

I'm deeply disappointed. I didn't know that the Space Fellowship is a magnet for superstitions, fanatical religious views and belief in paranormal events... :(

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 5:46 pm
Marcus
Interesting signature you have there?

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 8:14 pm
I'm sorry.
You are right Monroe and I have to apologize to everyone here.

Somehow I instantly associated the word "creation" to the term "creationism" (something I strongly reject), at that moment my brain must have shut down.

This assumption seems to be wrong. Sorry again.

I did a bit more research on Harold Aspden, his theory as well as the origins of this theory and still I don't think, that his theory of an "aether" is correct. Such a medium has to have some very odd properties. In my opinion, that is not how science should work. The goal of science should be to unravel the mysteries of the universe, to make the unknown known, bit by bit.

However, aether is an "invention" to avoid things that are currently inexplicable by making the aether responsible for the unexplainable phenomena. To "solve" the problem, all you have to do then is to accept that the aether exists. But by doing so you learn nothing new. You just gain the comfort of "knowing" that everything is just as it should be and that your previous theory of the the world was just right after all.

But maybe I'm alone with this opinion?

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 10:22 pm
Hey no biggie! I concur with your assessment of this dissertation. I understand about personal views and my intensions are not to stir up that can of worms. May the force be with you and also with you. :)

Basil

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm
Right on! Basil
All good. Marcus, it's a toughie any way you look at it. My kind of problem though I like the unknown buy way of making it known by discovery the moment of discovery is awesome mine or yours may we have many more moments.

Monroe

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue May 19, 2009 8:19 pm
Don't get me wrong guys - I don't think Aspden's got a corner on the market of how the universe works.
But to suggest aether is any more an invention to handle unknown than - say - DARK MATTER is - is probably exactly the point.

NOBODY knows what the mechanics of gravity are. Aspden comes at the question from a different set of assumptions, and derives E=MC^2, the fine structure constant, explains the precession of Mercury and some other things based on a completely different set of assumptions than Einstein. So it's interesting, that's all I'm saying...

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm
It's quite easy to test his theory. If he's right, then we should be getting energy from light water, and a current should be generated. If it isn't, then he's wrong. Simples.