Why are we using propellants

Posted by: mworkman - Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:36 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Why are we using propellants 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Why are we using propellants   Posted on: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:36 am
:roll:

Excuse me for my lack of brains on this but do the rules say you have to use fuel propellants to get to space or can you use other technology.

You know people are using propellants to get to space and there is a technology out there that uses no propellants and can take a ship to space and is cheap to use.

I just don’t follow

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:03 am
Mind telling us what this technology is? Space elevators are a pipe dream if that is what you're referring to (and require proppellant to set up anyhow).

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:17 am
what do yoou mean Space elevators.

I am talking an engine for a ship.
the technology was designed years ago by Tesla and Einstein.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:13 am
Tesla and Einstein may very well have designed some sort of propellentless engine but in all seriousness there has not been any credible proof of any working examples of it.

Townsend Brown at least seemed to fly an electrically propelled craft but even that could not be flown if the power source for the craft was built into the craft.

To my knowledge the only credible testing done with propellentless flying anything are the small (like 3" across) laser launch test craft being shot into the air at Rensselaer Polytechnic and the electric engine model airplane some guys at NASA flew around inside a hanger that was powered by a laser beam. Neither one of those had any realistic (if any) payload capability.

If you want to talk about anything that is at best on the outer fringes of aerospace you'll have to show pretty convincing proof that it really works first.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:01 pm
TJ wrote:
Tesla and Einstein may very well have designed some sort of propellentless engine but in all seriousness there has not been any credible proof of any working examples of it.

Not that I'm aware of.... Not that I'm an expert on Tesla's designs, but I don't remember any sort of "propellentless engine", and I certainly don't recall him ever working with Einstein on anything, much less that.

TJ wrote:
If you want to talk about anything that is at best on the outer fringes of aerospace you'll have to show pretty convincing proof that it really works first.

Not to mention cheap and cost-effective enough to be practicable for a small private concern.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107