Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Boeing's "original" Space Gas Station

Boeing's "original" Space Gas Station

Posted by: gaetanomarano - Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:27 pm
 [ 49 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Boeing's "original" Space Gas Station 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Boeing's "original" Space Gas Station   Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Boeing's Space Gas Station concept in this (September 25, 2007) Popular Mechanics article:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... 24660.html

it looks pretty close to MY (Aug. 12, 2007) article's update about an orbital refuel concept for the ESAS plan:

http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/031easyways.html

as explained in this ghostNASA article:

http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts/011orbitalrefuel.html

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:06 am
Get over yourself, refueling in-flight is hardly a new idea. What might be really useful, however, would be to produce fuel on the moon (aluminium powder and LOX?), ship it to earth orbit and refuel ships from there.. A spaceship going from moon surface to earth orbit would be able to carry a much greater payload than one going from earth surface to earth orbit. You could even construct much of the craft on the moon, from the materials present in the soil - just move rocket engines capable of burning powdered or liquid aluminium, a power plant, some construction equipment, a mining robot and a refinery.. Iron might be a good construction material to use for the spacecraft. Of couse, I'm not so naive as to think nobody have thought of this before me - on the other hand, I would be thrilled if someone went ahead and did it :)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:30 pm
Minthos wrote:
...refueling in-flight is hardly a new idea...

you're right (and I've already said that in my article!) but my idea (and the two months LATER Boeing one) is to apply some cheap, simple, easy and rational orbital refuel to the ESAS plan to have better hardware and solve some problems

Quote:
...would be to produce fuel on the moon (aluminium powder...

it's a good idea, as suggested in this article: http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts/007saltrocket.html

however, the best element for that rockets seems the magnesium (see the MIT link in my article)

the magnesium is available on the moon but not easy to extract, also, we have no Mg/LOX engines working

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:47 pm
gaetanomarano wrote:
Minthos wrote:
...refueling in-flight is hardly a new idea...

you're right (and I've already said that in my article!) but my idea (and the two months LATER Boeing one) is to apply some cheap, simple, easy and rational orbital refuel to the ESAS plan to have better hardware and solve some problems.

Are you claiming they stole your idea again?

You really need another hobby. Try fishing...

Profile ICQ
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:40 pm
Quote:
Are you claiming they stole your idea again?

You really need another hobby. Try fishing...

Ah no sorry IrquiM, i have some paper here that i wrote earlier today. It details plans to ask him to take up fishing! sadly you have stolen my idea!
:twisted:

Ill go spam some sites to let them know :wink:

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:30 pm
IrquiM wrote:
...stole...

I never used nor will never use that kind of words!

I just publish my ideas on my website and propose/discuss of them on space forums and blogs

my webpages (and the forums/blogs' posts) always have a DATE so, everybody can judge by himself which of them was published/posted/proposed as first

YOU are the judges!

if you think that "September 25, 2007" comes BEFORE "Aug. 12, 2007" it's good for me... :)

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:34 pm
Are you familiar with the term spam? (not that canned meat, mind you)

I don't give a damn thing about who's idea it was on whatever topic. There is a good reason for not being able to patent ideas. So please stop posting your crap and start contributing to our common goal, space settlement, in a constructive way. And you are not being constructive in any way.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Stefan Sigwarth wrote:
...in a constructive way...

think, write, publish, post, comment and diffuse NEW ideas about Space, is the best way to be constructive... I can't imagine nothing better that this

of course, if I see "others" who propose similar ideas (as "their own thought") months or years AFTER me, I can't avoid to remark it... but this is only a marginal side of the main work I do, that is: "develop and suggest new ideas"

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post October 26th was Talk Like a Prat day?   Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:19 am
So you take some Boeing artwork and, in a stroke of engineering genius, add a pink tank. Then Popular Mechanics use closely related Boeing artwork sans your pink tank, and you are surprised that it looks "pretty close"?

Neither Boeing nor NASA are copying from you. In fact they don't know you exist. I suspect this is the real source of your frustration.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: October 26th was Talk Like a Prat day?   Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 am
xiphius wrote:
So you take some Boeing artwork and, in a stroke of engineering genius, add a pink tank.

the EDS is NOT a Boeing design but (so far) just an ESAS concept, also, the "pink tank" could give great advantages (you can know reading my article)

Quote:
Then Popular Mechanics use closely related Boeing artwork sans your pink tank, and you are surprised that it looks "pretty close"?

the ESAS orbital refuel is NOT a Popular Mechanics idea but a Boeing's "photoshop concept" proposed at a recent AIAA conference

about this, I just said that my ESAS orbital refuel concept was proposed TWO months before Boeing

Quote:
Neither Boeing nor NASA are copying from you. In fact they don't know you exist. I suspect this is the real source of your frustration.

I agree on "frustration" since (clearly) I prefer to DO things rather than (simply) TALK of them, but, unfortunately, "do things" needs million$$$

about "they don't know you exist" you're 1000% WRONG, since:

1. many peoples from space agencies and companies read (or write, too) daily on space forums and blogs like this, and, from 2005, I've posted a total of (at least) 5000 posts, replies and comments with lots of images and links

2. on my website and blog there are two counters that show me WHO visit them, WHEN that happen, which page they read, etc. well, literally HUNDREDS visits per months come from BIG aerospace companies, space agencies, private (and alt.space) companies, universities, etc... :)

and, two of the most seen pages in latest months are:

the "underside-LAS": http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/020newLAS.html

the "J-2Y" engine: http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/03 ... ngine.html

well, just wait the next Orion/Ares-I design updates... :)

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:15 am
2 fair questions:

1. How old are you?
2. Did you actually build something that can go into space or anything related to it?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:32 am
Stefan Sigwarth wrote:
2 fair questions:
1. How old are you?
2. Did you actually build something that can go into space or anything related to it?

both, personal and unrelated questions...

Musk and Bigelow are NOT aerospace engineers, but (both) are leading two new.space companies to launch low cost rockets and space hotels...

the difference between them and me (or you, or other forums' users) is that they have enough money (from their non-space business) to DO that things, while WE have not so much funds...

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:52 pm
Quote:
the difference between them and me (or you, or other forums' users) is that they have enough money (from their non-space business) to DO that things, while WE have not so much funds...

Let me remind you they didn't had the money early on as well, but where smart enough to start an other "successful" business. Where is your succesful business ? your style of doing things right now is only consumings people time, where is your added value ?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:12 pm
Sigurd wrote:
Let me remind you they didn't had the money early on as well, but where smart enough to start an other "successful" business.

the winning secret of the capitalism is that everybody can succeed in a business starting from zero

there is no need to have a success in another field to be successful in a new business... like Musk with PayPal, Gates with Microsoft, Jobs with Apple, etc. etc. etc. (several millions "etc.")

look at China and Russia... they now have millions millionaires that just 10-20 years ago was workers, farmers, teachers, etc.

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:52 pm
Quote:
the winning secret of the capitalism is that everybody can succeed in a business starting from zero

Then why do so many people fail ?

I'll make you an offer ;), don't make me ban you, sounds this fair ? btw This website is not public domain, but part of a capitalism system. Can you survive this one ?

Profile WWW