Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Amateur rocket fired into space

Amateur rocket fired into space

Posted by: author - Tue May 18, 2004 5:48 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Amateur rocket fired into space 
Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Amateur rocket fired into space   Posted on: Tue May 18, 2004 5:48 pm
I'm not sure why we had to get this from the BBC instead of U.S. media, but it's still an impressive achievement.

"An amateur unmanned rocket has been launched into space from the Nevada desert - the first time this has been achieved by a privately-built vehicle.

"The Civilian Space eXploration Team's 6.5m (21ft) GoFast rocket is understood to have exceeded an altitude of 100km. ..."

Full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3724841.stm

Some practical technology in action.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue May 18, 2004 7:35 pm
Yeah its wicked...

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue May 18, 2004 8:12 pm
Very nice :)
Yep saw it earlier today on bbc, but not on cnn..
But anyway.. cnn only reports a few "top" stories...
If they couldn't copy the news from space.com related to the xprize.. they would neither report scaled their achievements... but don't worry.. cnn is most of the times late.. so they may copy it from space.com in a few hours.. IF they think it's good anough... (but some bbc/cnn people seem to be not that impressed by all this space stuff)..

If you look at cnn.. they put some accidents related to 3 children on their front page.. while they ignore the Michael Moore's controversial anti-Bush film.. I only saw a few weeks back some article about it on cnn on the front page.. but now when it's succesfull cannes movie.. they only report it on a small page...
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html
While this got the "front page" of media & culture section of manny belgian newspapers... and that related for US politics :roll:
Anyway.. maybe bbc and other world news got too manny news to read.. that's why cnn maybe just selects their top stories to make it easier for the reader.. (but of course.. you can see this as filtering news... so not really that nice..)

Quate From Article; cnn wrote:
"It would be a shame if Americans didn't get to see this movie about important stuff happening in their own backyard."
Even Moore's skeptics seemed impressed.
"I have a problematic relationship with some of Michael Moore's work. There's no such job as a standup journalist," said James Rocchi, film critic for DVD rental company Netflix.
But Rocchi said "Fahrenheit 9/11" contains powerful segments about losses on both sides of the Iraq war and the grief of American and Iraqi families.
"This film is at its best when it is most direct and speaks from the heart, when it shows lives torn apart," Rocchi told AP.
The film links Bush with powerful Saudi families, including that of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

If there is any possible link with bush & bin laden.. and it's reported world wide... and people are getting really annoyed over here with the bush administration.. I think it's every US citizens concern to know this.
(note, this is about the truth.. not that John kerry would be a better president... I'll keep that opinion.. a private opinion ;))

It's not just space that needs more development, also the news etc :)
I hope space dev news.. will give some young people again some ideas.. and see science and math back as something cool.. cause where I live.. it's not what it should be...

Back on topic http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/cs ... 40518.html space.com also reported the news.

Profile WWW