Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Spaceengineering@Home

Spaceengineering@Home

Posted by: Stefan Sigwarth - Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:32 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Spaceengineering@Home 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Spaceengineering@Home   Posted on: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:32 pm
Hey guys. It's long since i had a really summerbreak so i allready got pretty bored in the first week of it. Sure, i could read anything there is to read (which is way to much for the 6 or 7 weeks i have), so i thought off seeking something to build which anybody could at home. Obviously, rockets or modelrockets are out of the question. I thought more along the lines of a hydroponic garden, but i've read a bit about it and there's nothing much new stuff or research stuff that could be done.

So i would like to ask you guys to suggest anything which can be made has some sort of use on any future spacemission/colony. Only restrictions are:

- 6 or 7 weeks building time (so in case of hydroponics i would have ample time to take care off plants, take oxygen readings, etc);
- Can't cost that much. Say a maximum of € 500 of building material;
- ca 20 square meters of garden to use as a workshop;
- no help.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:31 pm
I've not read about anyone making a space composter to recycle the parts of plants that cant be eaten or used. Something small and compact that creates an environment that rapidly recycles unused plant matter into something useful. Also something that could be adapted for 0g use.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 pm
yeah what about a habitat with say, plant, water and small animal. close it off and when one of your attempts doesnt kill the animal then see whatwas needed for a complete self sustaining system?

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:44 pm
Doesn't this mean a small ecologic system?

I already mentioned a romanian cave in another thread long ago. It has been found randomly and was completely autark for 25000 years.

That ecology - isolated against the whole world - was enclosed in a system of connected/linked caves several 100 meters long (if I remeber correct). It was rich in scorpions, ants and the like - all blind and with no eyes since there were no light there for thousands of years.

So a real experiment would have to be done on the Moon to avoid a particular ISS for such a purpose only.

It might be observed and human impact could be restricted to the danger of the death of the system. Perhaps this would allow for finding a composition that needs least human impact.

What about it?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)