Community > Forum > Technology & Science > HYPACC

HYPACC

Posted by: Enthusiast - Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:22 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
HYPACC 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post HYPACC   Posted on: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:22 pm
Publiusr has mentioned HYPACC several times recently. It is a novel proposal for a suborbital or first stage orbital booster that he suggests is a superior alternative to maglev. The basic idea is to build a huge tube that extends 1 kilometer below the surface of the sea. Then you pump out all the water, put the rocket at the bottom, uncork it and let the water pressure at that depth accelerate the rocket up the tube. Here's the link:

http://www.hypacc.com

I am on record as doubting the feasibility of the maglev proposal. I think this one is equally unrealistic. They claim the exit velocity of a 10 tonne vehicle would be 4600 kph. If you do the math, they have apparently made the simplistic and incorrect assumption that the initial force acting on the vehicle would be sustained throughout its trip up the tube, and that energy losses such as friction would be negligible. And although they acknowledge the tremendous structural strength that would be required for the launch tube to withstand such pressures, they present no cost estimates for its construction and operation. (Ekkehard?? :) )

What are your thoughts?

Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:55 pm
Hello, Enthusiast,

to calculate costs like done in the Accumulations thread in the Financial Barriers section I need some informations made public somewhere. I could include one information only by using afunction. Since unfortunately no informations about costs are listed I am sorry that I can't do calculations about HYPACC at present.

Approximations (I never did something that can be called estimations at this board yet) also would require informations published by the authors or developers of the HYPACC-idea.

Regarding your thoughts about HYPACC I only can say that I myself up to now never have considered it and the one poster you are referring to I never could consider to be an expert - he is out something quite different than solving tasks, problems etc. from my personal subjective point of view - and because of this I find it very positive that you start to have a critical look onto the idea and appreciate it seriously.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: HYPACC   Posted on: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 am
Quote:
http://www.hypacc.com

I am on record as doubting the feasibility of the maglev proposal. I think this one is equally unrealistic. They claim the exit velocity of a 10 tonne vehicle would be 4600 kph. If you do the math, they have apparently made the simplistic and incorrect assumption that the initial force acting on the vehicle would be sustained throughout its trip up the tube, and that energy losses such as friction would be negligible. And although they acknowledge the tremendous structural strength that would be required for the launch tube to withstand such pressures, they present no cost estimates for its construction and operation. (Ekkehard?? :) )

What are your thoughts?

The calculations are incorrect. The crucial point to the design was the fact that the pressure at the base remained constant. Air is not too good as a gas either due to its relatively slow speed of sound. I took all the comments, critisims and ideas of 6/7 years ago and i hope, gained far greater energy density with the new design that employs a moving coloumn of water. I have made things a bit confusing by calling it hypacc 2 but I remain unfunded and have utilised (cyber recycling?) the old site for economy's sake. If you click the animations button on www.hypacc.com to see the sketch idea in motion. I am a stone sculptor by trade so any kind of feasability study is beyond my academic and financial means.

Profile WWW