Community > Forum > Technology & Science > BDB construction on the pad?

BDB construction on the pad?

Posted by: malenfant - Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:40 pm
 [ 20 posts ] 
BDB construction on the pad? 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: BDB construction on the pad?   Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:51 pm
malenfant wrote:
As much as I like the idea of sea dragon I can't quite believe the thing is workable. To me the logistics of towing it out to sea, fuelling it, erecting it and servicing it in a choppy ocean just don't seem feasible.

We've been doing it for years. They are called spars and are even heavier than Sea Dragon. One of the reasons the Flip ship works so well is that it is rather immune to chop while in a vertical position. Giant launch pads--now that is actually harder.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:54 pm
WannabeSpaceCadet wrote:
I forgot about the LH2, but that and the 2nd stage LOX would be above the water-line in the launch position, which is when you would fill it.

A CVN is not needed, you fill it with RP-1 before leaving port, then load the LOX & LH2 from (probably separate) tankers at the launch site.

You build these like WW2 liberty ships. Assembly line, no frills.

I like the idea of the SSTO version with the plug nozzle. That would probably just use LOX / RP-1.

We have LNG carriers already that could be used--and the Soviet icebreakers like Arktika with 2 reactors can be used. They are even thinking about a full sized power plant on a barge for China. With such a beast--you can crack water in no time---and such infrastructure is needed anyway for hydrogen production. And the fuel is free sea-water.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:12 pm
More on Sea Dragon:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums ... =8&start=1

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:05 am
publiusr wrote:
WannabeSpaceCadet wrote:
...A CVN is not needed, you fill it with RP-1 before leaving port, then load the LOX & LH2 from (probably separate) tankers at the launch site.

You build these like WW2 liberty ships. Assembly line, no frills.

We have LNG carriers already that could be used--and the Soviet icebreakers like Arktika with 2 reactors can be used. They are even thinking about a full sized power plant on a barge for China. With such a beast--you can crack water in no time---and such infrastructure is needed anyway for hydrogen production. And the fuel is free sea-water.

I was refering to construction of the rocket, not the tankers, there should be plenty of bulk liquid gas tankers & hydrogen production already. Enough for development & testing at least. Most hydrogen is currently extracted from natural gas, not electrolysis of water.

For a production system, you might take the nuke power train for a CVN and put it in a LNG tanker hull with electrolysis & liquefaction plants in place of one of the tanks. With the added benefit of being able to sell LH2, pure LOX or even electricity commercially, when there are no rockets to be launched.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:38 pm
That is a very good idea. Such vessels must carry chilled product as it stands.