Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Inflatable vehicle made a reality

Inflatable vehicle made a reality

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:32 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
Inflatable vehicle made a reality 
Post Inflatable vehicle made a reality   Posted on: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:32 am
The article "Report: Russia Launches Mini-Shuttle Spacecraft in Test" ( www.space.com/missionlaunches/ap_051007 ... aunch.html ) Andy Hill already linked to in another thread is reporting the successful flight of an inflatable vehicle which both can carry cargo down to Earth and - alternatively - astronauts in case of emergency.

Before I started to post at this board I cosnidewred inflatable containers to be a good solution for delivery of cargo - raw materials from other bodies in space and the like - from orbit down to the surface of Earth or another planet.

The advantage such containers hade in my eyes then - and still continue to have - is that several of them could be carried into orbit becuase as long as they are empty they have much less volume than if they are loaded with cargo. Their volume is reduced then - and there isn't the weight of any cargo.

These inflatable cargo vehicles also would be advantegous regrading what I am talking about in the tankers-thread.

What do you think about it? And what in particular do you think about it regarding its impact on private spacetrips offered by private companies technologically?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:55 am
In between the article "New Heatshield Design Tests Europe and Russian Researchers
" ( www.space.com/businesstechnology/techno ... _irdt.html ) says that
Quote:
it’s designers also envision it being used as an atmospheric research tool or as a descent capsule for science missions on other planets

So it might be used as or instead of a lander too...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)