Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Small idea regarding planet detection etc.

Small idea regarding planet detection etc.

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Small idea regarding planet detection etc. 
Post Small idea regarding planet detection etc.   Posted on: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 pm
Distant planets of our own solar system usually are detected by the long-run-movement which can be recognized by comparison of two photos of the same space region made at different dates. The longer the time between the dates the better such a movement can be recognized.

What about equipping each probe that goes to Jupiter or Saturn by an astro-camera like those used for planet-detection and using them during flight? The movement of the probes should change the angle of view at certain space regions faster and by a higher degree than the movement of the potential planets themselves.

There would be another effect - the distances of stars initially have been measured by their parallaxis. But that method is usable for distances not farer than around 100 lightyears as far as I am informed. One of the reasons of this limitation is the diameter of Earth's orbit - the distnace jovian and saturnian probes etc. go is much larger. So what about using them to measure distance this way?

This thought has to do with multiple-purpose-probes, could increase the scientific output or "revenue" perhpas and thus could enhance the chances of probes to get agreement of parliamants and governments. Private etc. funding would be possible.

Are there any technological problems regarding such mulitple-purpose-probes?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:01 pm
Terrestrial Planet Finder is a dedicated platform for just such a search. I would like large solar foci scopes to either 'side' of the solar system to create a super-large array.

They may come later--to image what TPF finds more directly.

Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm
May be that the idea I had when I initiated this thread is a little bit closer to realiyt in between under the aspect of the article "New Video Sees Earth from Alien Perspective" ( www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080718-earth-film.html ).

It says that
Quote:
Astronomers plan to use the video to develop techniques to look for Earth-like worlds in other solar systems.

"Making a video of Earth from so far away helps the search for other life-bearing planets in the universe by giving insights into how a distant, Earth-like alien world would appear to us," said Michael A'Hearn of the University of Maryland and the principal investigator for the Deep Impact extended mission.

Of course the distance the movie has been got from isn't that large but much smaller than the long axis of the arthian orbit:
Quote:
Deep Impact, which sent an impactor into comet Tempel 1 on July 4, 2005, is currently 31 million miles away from Earth

But
Quote:
During its cruise to Hartley 2, Deep Impact will be searching for extrasolar planets.

So I simply have to look up the distance of Hartley 2 or - more precisely the distance from Earth the encounter will take place at.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:32 am
That would be helpful I think, but you would want two big scopes with laser communications between them. Which would mean tertiary comms sats to bounce around the sun.

Or three in a triangle, might give you a massive infferometer.

Profile ICQ YIM