Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Lunar production site to be seen on the horizon?

Lunar production site to be seen on the horizon?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:01 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
Lunar production site to be seen on the horizon? 
Post Lunar production site to be seen on the horizon?   Posted on: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:01 pm
Just this moment I found the article "Russia Plans Moon Exploration" ( www.spacedaily.com/news/lunar-05zl.html ), which says that
Quote:
Russia's aerospace corporation Energiya, intends to begin producing helium III ... on the Moon

As far as I know or understand Energiya is a private company but not a governmental agency.

What do you think about this?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:11 pm
There is some talk here and elsewhere about how caterpiller has an interest in Moon mining: (So does www.britishtitanium.co.uk
http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Ca ... o=0&fpart=

www.rocketforge.com

The Soyuz rocket will not be enough. I will say this--a lot of heavy equipment already uses electricity rather than diesel power. So a nuclear reactor and a lot of cable Should power these large craft. But you will need Sea Dragon to put them up there--to do mining right.

The lunar rock is very hard--I would want a reactor at least the size of the one aboard the NR-1 sub on a front end loader that had the reactor right above the drill bit so that huge mass could really bear down upon the rock. It then draggs an explosive filled trailer and robotic arm to fill in the holes for some line-shots.