Community > Forum > Technology & Science > ISRU of magnetic rocks for radiation shielding?

ISRU of magnetic rocks for radiation shielding?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Fri May 13, 2005 7:26 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
ISRU of magnetic rocks for radiation shielding? 
Post ISRU of magnetic rocks for radiation shielding?   Posted on: Fri May 13, 2005 7:26 am
According to one or two articles the links to I will EDIT later the magnetic fields of some martian regions may be stronger than measured from orbit.

There are findings that within impact craters the field is much stronger than measured from orbit. It is a finding of reseraches on earthian craters.

From orbit the magnetic fields appear to be weak. The reason for the difference is that a lot of rocks within the craters have a significant magnetic field but these fields are oriented to different directions so that they partially extinct their effects.

Would it be possible to take the magnetic rocks and to reorientate them so that their fields have identical orientation? Would that provide a stronger magnetic field that contributes to radiation protection? How large would the protection be in terms of level of solar wind impacts? One of the articles mentions the meaning of the result for the possibility of current martian life. To what altitude may sufficient protection be working?

Can the magnetic rocks be worked on without destruction of their magnetic field?

If all that is possible then they seem to be interesting for mining - if not what else use can be made of them?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri May 13, 2005 2:09 pm
You are putting the cart before the horse, as they say. Before proposing using Martian magnetic rock to make space craft shielding you should first make shielding with Earth magnetic rock to make sure it works. I can think of two reasons why it won't work. One, magnetic shields only work against charged particles. They do not stop uncharged particles or photons. So the most dangerous radiation, neutrons and gamma rays, will not be effected at all by magnetic shields. The second problem is weight. Magnetic material is just too heavy to make space craft out of.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri May 13, 2005 3:03 pm
This includes a reason to continue the thread in the Off-Topic section.

I didn't have in mind shielding a space vehicle but shielding a martian station, a habitat or a colony.

And I am really thinking about shielding against the solar wind - which is a topic for NASA too they are doing work on regarding the lunar station (I initiated a thread about it in this section earlier)

As I said the finding has been made in an earthian crater.

EDIT: All you say I do know since long. There seems to be an image behind your post which may be worth to be discussed in the Off-Topic-thread.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed May 18, 2005 1:53 pm
What is it about our atmosphere and our magnetic field that keeps said neutrons and gamma rays from killing us? Just the depth involved, or particular chemicals?

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:51 am
Obviously the idea to use or apply magnetized rocks for radiation shielding is thought of seriously by scientists. The article "Moon's Magnetic Umbrella Seen as Safe Haven for Explorers" ( www.space.com/scienceastronomy/061114_reiner_gamma.html ) is reporting that [quote]The lunar surface is a harsh landscape; a bone dry expanse of impact-pummelled rock whose "seas" have long been known as a misnomer. The only precipitation is in the form of solar and cosmic radiation that gradually darkens the dust and corrupts the cells of any astronauts present.

Yet amidst this hostile landscape a number of safer havens exist where the lunar surface escapes much of this sleet of radiation.

The magnetic field present over Reiner Gamma would deflect the solar wind and preserve the ejecta as a bright footprint of the magnetic field above.

Not only does the magnetic field preserve an unsullied lunar surface but it would partially protect any astronauts strolling beneath, “The lunar fields are strong enough to deflect solar wind ions with energies of several kilo-electron-volts,â€

Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:58 pm
The article "Invisible Lights on Mars Mapped" ( www.space.com/scienceastronomy/081202-s ... rorae.html ) tells two interesting details of ´meaning for this topic:

Quote:
Mars lacks the large-scale internal mechanism to generate a planetary magnetic field. Instead, Mars has small pockets of magnetism where areas of rocks in the crust are themselves magnetic -- essentially, Mars has many magnetic pole-type regions all over its surface.
The spacecraft's instruments showed that the aurorae seem to be located near regions where the Martian magnetic field is strongest. The findings were detailed recently in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

This seems to suggest that the solar particle are reachung the surface by higher concentrations where the magnetic rocks are than elsewhere.

Because of this I am thinking about the possibility or chance of using such rocks to pull and keep the solar particles away from habitats or landers or so.

There would have to be one or the other particular configuration of them. Some would have to be placed high above. Perhaps they need to be placed so that they direct the particles along certain paths.

What thoughts?