Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster

Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster

Posted by: SANEAlex - Fri May 15, 2015 7:59 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster   Posted on: Fri May 15, 2015 7:59 pm
Another innovative form of drive

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/05/photon ... d-one.html

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster   Posted on: Fri May 15, 2015 8:56 pm
:roll: Really? My tax dollars paid for that?

No its not "photon bounce". It was thermal heating/expansion on the reflector surface. The same thing that they proved with the beam riding hubcap back in the 80's.

You want to prove its pure light energy force, conduct the experiment in a high-vacuum chamber.

Who the hell is approving these grants? Santa Claus?

Where is our buddy Victor? He needs to cash in on this while they are throwing money around...

:x

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster   Posted on: Sat May 16, 2015 11:16 am
JamesG wrote:
:roll: Really? My tax dollars paid for that?

No its not "photon bounce". It was thermal heating/expansion on the reflector surface. The same thing that they proved with the beam riding hubcap back in the 80's.

You want to prove its pure light energy force, conduct the experiment in a high-vacuum chamber.

Who the hell is approving these grants? Santa Claus?

Where is our buddy Victor? He needs to cash in on this while they are throwing money around...

:x

I naively assumed that they would have taken account for that effect you don't think so? You are right that a hard vacuum test would be a good way of doing so(but they are expensive to run well) looking at the specs that the mirror seems to have it looks like it does have very good reflectivity so shouldn't the fact that they are filming in visible and infra red allow them to subtract heating effects or am i being overly naive about technical competences again

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Well this one seems to be real a Photon laser Thruster   Posted on: Sat May 16, 2015 7:00 pm
You are being naive. :wink:

They (he) got $500,000 to do that with. I think he could have afforded one instead of touting a clean room condition (which was irrelevant in this experiment).

Total waste of money. All he proved was that a polarized laser can be used for beamed energy propulsion. Which was already a foregone conclusion.

What Mr. Bae should do is get out of the science biz and into the grant writing consultancy. He is obviously a master of it.