In line staging

Posted by: box - Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
In line staging 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: In line staging   Posted on: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am
JamesG wrote:
Elon hired a bunch of "old NASA hands" for the top positions at SpaceX. In addition to bringing connections with government and the aerospace industry that smoothed contracting, they also brought a conservative, pragmatic approach. That means that its technical solutions are also largely just incremental improvements over what everyone else has done/is doing.

Does not mean that it's the best or final solution. Only that it was a good solution for the time.

True, but since no-one has come up with anything better than incrementally improvements in the last 50 years...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: In line staging   Posted on: Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 pm
FutureNow wrote:
Hey, Psiberzerker, I noticed that for your location you have: "Outside Wonko the Sane's house." Since I'm new to the forum I have to ask... would that really be "inside" since he lives "outside" the asylum? Or is it "outside" because you live "inside" the... never mind, I can no longer follow my own train of thought.

Yes, that's exactly what I ment by that allusion. Glad it worked.

The problem with Piggyback designs like the Sangers is the hypersonic seperation between the Booster, and Parasite. It's been tested (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21) theoretically, you could replace the ramjet drone with something like an X15 rocketplane, but that kind of combo is going to need precise design with anvilicious thrust just to get to launch altitude/airspeeds. Then, the orbiter has to seperate, and somehow avoid the conic shock-waves coming off the booster's nose, and every forward surface. Not saying it can't be done, but note When the Challenger turned into schrapnel. You're basically talking about doing that on purpose, only in horizonatal flight, and several times the speed of sound with both craft surviving.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: In line staging   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm
Can water landing and take off be easier than operating on land?

Would the landing attachments be as complex and heavy as landing gears?

Would having to deal with water add a lot of complications to the engines, the heatshield, the hull etc...?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: In line staging   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm
box wrote:
Can water landing and take off be easier than operating on land?

Would the landing attachments be as complex and heavy as landing gears?

Would having to deal with water add a lot of complications to the engines, the heatshield, the hull etc...?

Water is better for "Land"ing, because it absorbs energy when it's most dangerous. This also makes it less ideal for taking off. That's why Appollo, among others took off from Florida, but splashed down in the ocean. You want to jump off a diving board mounted on concrete, but definitely want to hit the water when you come back down.