The Zero Displacement Engine

Posted by: JamesG - Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm
 [ 13 posts ] 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm

At the beginning of April I was honoured to have been appraised of the development and impending trials of a fascinating new type of engine that might just be what we've all been waiting for, and which might completely revolutionize aviation. Here is the documentation that was supplied to me -

Introduction

Dating back to Leonardi da Vinci, and beyond, there have been many dreamers pre-occupied with thoughts of motive power provided through mechanical means, with all kinds of fuel proposed and with varying rates of consumption.

When thoughts of powered manned flight were contemplated at various times over the past few centuries, the vexed question of a means of providing the required power always became the classic stumbling block.

In attempting to fully understand the underlying concept of the Zero Displacement Engine, the reader will need to grasp the fundamentals of the conceptual relationship between Zero and Infinity. Firstly, our man-made methods of mathematical evaluation are too crude to effectively embrace the required conceptual visualization, so your writer will lead the reader nicely and gently according to the following paragraphs.

No amount of addition or subtraction of the quantifiable data will affect the relationship of those data in respect of a Zero-point or Infinity-point. Yet we accept the axiom that by adding to something it is increased toward Infinity, and conversely, by subtracting from that same something it is decreased toward Zero, but by an unquantifiable measurement in terms of either Zero or Infinity.

The more pragmatic of our readers will immediately condemn the above statement by reference to a tape measure but for the moment please indulge this.

Now we introduce the pivotal factor, Unity. Unity is mid-way between Zero and Infinity and is best defined according to our crude man-made methods of mathematical evaluation, as the Arithmetic Fulcrum. If you divide Unity, the man-made numeral One, by a very large man-made number, you get a very small number which is getting closer to Zero as the denominator gets closer to Infinity.

This is now the philosophical overview - if you divide Unity by Unity the answer is Unity. If you multiply Unity by Unity the answer is still Unity, very neat, no problems there. Now you divide Unity by Zero the answer is Infinity, then in dividing Unity by Infinity the answer is Zero. Finally, in multiplying Zero by Infinity you get Unity, the numeral One.

The Story

One worker in engine technology has proposed a simple single-cylinder engine in which the crank-pin is concentric with the crank-shaft, thus producing its maximum power at infinite rpm and with no vibration. This novel idea could be viewed by some skeptics as having little practical application regardless that it should be very quiet in operation.

Another benefit claimed by the inventor is that, in an aircraft configuration, by fitting an airscrew of zero diameter and infinite pitch, very high thrust could be produced at any airspeed. With a suitable airframe speeds of many times the speed of sound would be easily attained.

Further development work would comprise moving the crank-pin slightly off-centre in such a way that the engine has a negative stroke. Although there would obviously be some sacrifice of power available, because the engine would be producing its rotation negatively, it would create fuel rather than consuming it. The engine would therefore require no carburetor and no provision for cooling or lubrication, since all friction would be negative.

The greatest advantage of the negative rotation would be the use of the more efficient pusher style of airscrew, but mounted in front, where most pilots like to see them.

More information on this exciting concept will be made available as trials progress.

:wink: Tip of the cursor

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:59 pm
:)

I'm wondering how, if there is no such thing as distance and only an ordering, Unity can be halfway between Zero and Infinity. How can you define halfway without distance?

Incidentally, there is a mathematical construct that includes infinity as a value, the hyperreal numbers.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 pm
April fools jokes should be done only on April 1. It's hard enough to sort out the really new innovative ideas from the jokes on this forum. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 am
:mrgreen:

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:03 pm
Yeah, I think that the guy who wrote this is my long lost cousin from India who died and left me a billion dollars. I keep forgetting to return his email - anyway, he needs my bank account number to send me the money, but my bank account is too small. There isn't enough space in it for a billion dollars. Too bad - I could use the money.

Last edited by SuperShuki on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm
I remember I tried to convince my college chemistry professor that I had invented a gravity energy collection device, a perpetual motion machine. Of course, I was only 16 (see how smart I am!) and probably manic anyway. Now I have figured out why it won't work, however - you can only get energy out of changes, and the force of gravity is the same for all intents and purposes on earth. Now I can start to write laws of motion, invent calculus, get knighted, and become famous!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm
SuperShuki wrote:
and the force of gravity is the same for all intents and purposes on earth.

But it does change a bit my gold and platinum trading scheme using differences in gravity is only let down by Antarctica's low GDP :wink: :twisted:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... =7&t=19400

SuperShuki wrote:
Now I can start to write laws of motion, invent calculus, get knighted, and become famous!

:) Well it it worked for Newton stepping on the shoulders of giants but i think he did it slightly more subtly and the day job in the Royal mint making money may have helped grease a few wheels. :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:57 pm
That gold and platinum scheme is hilarious. But I'd imagine that the weight measuring devices are calibrated differently on the south pole.
:lol:

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm
Laugh if you WILL!!! But I HAVE created the perpetual motion machine!!! Simply position it in space where no object has any gravitational effect on it. Start it spinning and it will spin forever!!(maybe longer) Take note that any kinetic energy drawn from the process will violate the warrenty and stop the machine. I will sell anyone wanting a set of blue prints for 1 million dollars.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm
lightningbob wrote:
Laugh if you WILL!!! But I HAVE created the perpetual motion machine!!! Simply position it in space where no object has any gravitational effect on it. Start it spinning and it will spin forever!!(maybe longer) Take note that any kinetic energy drawn from the process will violate the warrenty and stop the machine. I will sell anyone wanting a set of blue prints for 1 million dollars.

Sorry Sir I. Newton had the patent on that one a few centuries ago and anyway it does not work after 6.6 times 10 to the 33 years at least half your protons will fail their warranty anyway which is quite a bit short of forever. :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 pm
SuperShuki wrote:
That gold and platinum scheme is hilarious. But I'd imagine that the weight measuring devices are calibrated differently on the south pole.
:lol:

I have been reliably informed that that on certain gold mining sites the measuring devices are calibrated depending on where you are on the site let alone longer distances so its unlikely i was the first to come up with the idea as precautions are already in existence.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 pm
SANEAlex wrote:
lightningbob wrote:

Sorry Sir I. Newton had the patent on that one a few centuries ago and anyway it does not work after 6.6 times 10 to the 33 years at least half your protons will fail their warranty anyway which is quite a bit short of forever. :wink: :twisted:

Yeah, you forgot about entropy.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: The Zero Displacement Engine   Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm
.....stoopid entropy. :evil: