Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.

Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.

Posted by: RGClark - Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA. 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm
NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy.
By Joel Achenbach, Published: June 4
Quote:
The announcement Monday raised the obvious question of why the
intelligence agency would no longer want, or need, two Hubble-class
telescopes. A spokeswoman, Loretta DeSio, provided information
sparingly.
“They no longer possessed intelligence-collection uses,” she said of
the telescopes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

Blog post on using the new telescopes for planetary defense, asteroid prospecting, and Mars orbiter satellites:

Low cost development and applications of the new NRO donated telescopes.
http://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... tions.html

Bob Clark

Blog: http://exoscientist.blogspot.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 am
Are there any experiments that can benefit from 3 cameras on a single point in space? Topography etc. ? 3d mapping?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 am
Not really. At astronomical distances, the parallex from LEO is not very great. Coordinating orbital platforms for an interferometric array would be tricky.

I would be really surprised if these sats were really all that useful from a science perspective. Beyond the wear and tear on-orbit, they are probably running low on fuel. Also the optics and electronics are probably finely tuned to short ranged surface observation (spying), not for the long, far focused exposures of astronomical observation.

But it was nice of the NRO to offer them instead of just de-orbiting them.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm
JamesG wrote:
I would be really surprised if these sats were really all that useful from a science perspective. Beyond the wear and tear on-orbit, they are probably running low on fuel.

I think NRO have given NASA the optics for spacecraft which were never built, not two operating satellites. Apparently this still saves about $250 million off the cost of whatever spacecraft NASA produces from them.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 pm
I like the idea of a much more powerfull voyager that is vasimir powered and better equipment.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Low cost applications of the spy scopes donated to NASA.   Posted on: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 am
xiphius wrote:
JamesG wrote:
I would be really surprised if these sats were really all that useful from a science perspective. Beyond the wear and tear on-orbit, they are probably running low on fuel.

I think NRO have given NASA the optics for spacecraft which were never built, not two operating satellites. Apparently this still saves about $250 million off the cost of whatever spacecraft NASA produces from them.

That's what I get for just scanning through the news... :lol: