Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Interested in how much has changed since this 1954 article.

Interested in how much has changed since this 1954 article.

Posted by: joemarzen - Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:55 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
Interested in how much has changed since this 1954 article. 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Interested in how much has changed since this 1954 article.   Posted on: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:55 am
This is a link to an article regarding an expedition to Mars from 1954. Seems like they already knew a lot about the challenges. Any interesting observations of your own?

http://wp.me/p1IJtt-1O

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Interested in how much has changed since this 1954 article.   Posted on: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm
First, welcome! Second, I'm not a moderator, but if you have interesting stuff to share then linking to your own blog is fine with me. Do however be upfront about it, please.

What caught my eye in the article is the size of the ships. 4000 ton? That's quite a bit more than a Saturn V, and it would take ten Saturn V launches to get the materials for one of these things into orbit. And they want to have ten? Wow!

1954 was a couple of years before they got started on Project Orion, but ideas were no doubt already floating around, and it could be that that was considered. Still, it would take thirty Orion launches (for the baseline 4000 ton version of it) to build those ships!