Ten ways to traverse deep space

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:33 pm
 [ 41 posts ] 
Ten ways to traverse deep space 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am
JamesG wrote:
Yes, or if they need to speed things up for dramatic purposes, you invent a FTL "subspace" radio.

There actually might be a way of creating a FTL communications medium in the synchronous particle pairs (can't recall the technical term or a link offhand). Basically linked pairs of particles which spin in the same direction or charge regardless of how physically distant they are. So with just one pair, separated and sent somewhere else, you can have a digital link. If you also have a means or assembling things on an atomic level, you can use this as an estaz-FTL "transporter" by "faxing" the information to assemble your ship or people on the other side.
Still just theoretical.

One way I've seen a "warp" or alcubbier drive postulated is to magnetically harness a singularity or black hole and use its gravity to distort space. The ship falls forward towards the black hole while it pushes it away with magnetic repulsion. Yes it would have to be a small black hole. And they aren't exactly common (hopefully).

Another practical problem with Orion is that fission bombs don't completely consume their fuel. A large part of it doesn't react but it and its casing gets blown apart and accelerated at high velocities. This will have the effect of "polluting" space with high energy radioactive particles to fall back to Earth or collide with other spacecraft.

Quantum entanglement.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:16 pm
Yes that's it. Thank you.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm
From what I've read, there's no way of sending information using quantum entanglement faster than light speed. That's why quantum computing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
On the other hand, if by using an alcubier drive, you can send information faster than the speed of light, you could make a computer that works at faster-than-light speed.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 pm
That would be great, since chip designers already have serious problems with the speed of light. If you chip runs at 1GHz, every clock cycle is a nanosecond, and in a nanosecond, light travels about 30cm (12") in a vacuum, and half that in copper. Considering the amount of "wiring" in modern chips, keeping everything synchronous is becoming very complicated. In fact, IIRC about half of the circuitry on a modern CPU is there just for managing the clock signal and keeping things in sync. That's also why there's so much research being done into optical computing, photons go faster than electrons.

I also seem to remember that while any changes propagate instantly between two entangled particles, you still can't use it to send information more quickly than at the speed of light. Not sure why exactly. I don't think that that has anything to do with the problems in quantum computing though, those are mainly practical problems with keeping quantum computers of a usable size (i.e. enough qubits to do something interesting) completely sealed off from the outside world until the computation is finished.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Quantum entanglement   Posted on: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:43 pm
From wikipedia:
Quantum mechanics

Certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as quantum entanglement, appear to transmit information faster than light. According to the No-communication theorem these phenomena do not allow true communication; they only let two observers in different locations see the same event simultaneously, without any way of controlling what either sees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:28 pm
all this talk of ten ways why not think into the 11th but u would need a dish based craft to give light force and a volitile fuel that burns bright and can be readly found in space it looks at you every night

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 pm
tattooedfreak wrote:
all this talk of ten ways why not think into the 11th but u would need a dish based craft to give light force and a volitile fuel that burns bright and can be readly found in space it looks at you every night

I wouldn't like to be propelled by a nuclear explosion powered spacecraft, but I think that the ultimate propulsion for spacecraft, barring any scientific breakthroughs, is an ion engine powered by a nuclear power plant.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 am
what about collecting gas while out there star charts give me the theory most sighting of the first crafts give me the desighn required for gas collection the engine should be simple to work out everyone is thinking what we used to get to the moon and improving on it back to the start and back to basics is what is needed

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm
Look up Bussard ramjet. A magnetic scoop to pick up interstellar hydrogen to feed an engine.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:24 pm
Of course, a bussard ramjet only works when you're going at a significant fraction of light speed. Otherwise, there isn't enough hydrogen to collect. So you need some sort of propulsion to get going fast enough to use the bussard ramjet. Come to think of it, it works the same way with an atmospheric ramjet . . .

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 pm
tell me what the most common fuel sorce is in space im not an educated man on science im a mechnic that sorts some of the worlds worse problems for laugh so let me entertain you with one of my methods that may bring star charts and space travel together

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:32 am
tattooedfreak wrote:
tell me what the most common fuel sorce is in space im not an educated man on science im a mechnic that sorts some of the worlds worse problems for laugh so let me entertain you with one of my methods that may bring star charts and space travel together

In the interstellar medium there are numerous molecules, but for fuel purposes, there is on average 1 molecule of hydrogen per cubic cm I believe - not very much out there at all (although it makes up 75% of the known universe). That's why you need to be going very fast before you can collect enough to use it as a fuel. At normal temps and pressure, there are usually 2 x 10^8 molecules of hydrogen per cubic centimeter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... llar_space

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:48 pm
so a star is not made of a highly flamable gas then and as for aztec star charts before they could see into space could the charts be mapping entance and exit points for collection or possable flight paths for collecting or accelaration for the next point or to jump to a further area in my insain world that is

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm
tattooedfreak wrote:
so a star is not made of a highly flamable gas then and as for aztec star charts before they could see into space could the charts be mapping entance and exit points for collection or possable flight paths for collecting or accelaration for the next point or to jump to a further area in my insain world that is

Stars don't burn (oxidate). They undergo nuclear fusion. In other words, they are massive hydrogen bombs.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Ten ways to traverse deep space   Posted on: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:25 pm
so hydrogen is that powerfull right lets blow the caper on how to make it free from waste this is where folks are not going to like me massive amounts free even the plant is built in my head this gas can be produced from sugary liquid or waste mark redwood a bio chemist is playing with it at birmingham uni in west midlands so what if we got all land fill waste baled it collect all the sugar waste liquid and mush which makes up most our diet reducing land fill mass by a massive amount reducing methane produced by tips by bigger amount add ya bio chemist you have hydrogen in massive amounts while the plant once set up can be run by its own production sadly the byproduct would be if treated right liquid fertalizer that you could give to third world countries to help improve there lands to grow food ooops no there we go its an up again down side really is i might get shot by the petrol companies :lol: would this give you means of cheap space flight