Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Bundles of rockets - what about it?

Bundles of rockets - what about it?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:51 pm
 [ 16 posts ] 
Bundles of rockets - what about it? 
Post Bundles of rockets - what about it?   Posted on: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:51 pm
According to their German-only report http://www.tim-report.de/Project_Enterprise.pdf the Talis Institute is thinking about using their microsat-oriented rocket "Enterprise" for manned suborbital flights too.

What are comparisons of rocket-bundles to one whole rocket resulting in technically and technologically? Are they dangerous, suboptimal etc. or are they reasonable? ...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:42 pm
They're suboptimal (because you have a higher dry weight due to more equipment), and they're less dangerous (because there's less of a chance that the entire thing will blow up).

The big problem with a bundle is getting them all to light at almost exactly the same time -- a very fancy trick, and one that is rarely pulled off without a hitch. Bundles are generally seen as overcomplicated, although somewhat safer than a single rocket.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:14 pm
I tend to think of a bundled system as far more dangerous. Any time you add to the complexity of a system the possibility of failure increases. (For instance, though the Shuttle SRB's have a good track record, as far as boosters go, it only took one to take down the entire STS stack). As Spacecowboy mentioned, it increases mass as well.

I suppose I am thinking of a "Bundle" as many engines, as upposed to a multi-engine system such as the S-V's first stage or STS's multiple SSMEs. I have a feeling, when all is said and done, that the D-IV might get the nod for Project Constellation because it doesn't rely on bundled solid boosters.

Better, and cheaper in the long run, to use a big-dumb booster, but I guess if you've already got the small rocket, and you can't afford to develop something new from scratch, the bundling option is enticing. To me it's a desperation move.

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:30 pm
spacecowboy wrote:
The big problem with a bundle is getting them all to light at almost exactly the same time
That's for sure. I still remember launching a 4 engine cluster model rocket. The rocket took off before all the engines ignited, pulling the igniter out of some of the engines. As a result there was not enough power to take the rocket high enough and the parachute deployed too late. Crash!

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:24 pm
And the sad thing is that the Estes rocket ignition system is not much worse, reliability-wise, than the systems used by orbital launch vehicles.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 pm
To detail my initial question by a question I should have asked before the initial one - would the use of a microsat-orineted rocket for suborbital passenger flight require a modification to be able to bundle such rockets or can bundles avoided by alternative modifications?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:00 pm
There woulld have to be modifications. You can't just strap them together and bolt a crew cabin on the top. It's a completely new vehicle at that point.

Profile YIM
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:19 pm
Okay - but is it possible to modify a microsat-oriented rocket in a manner that bundling of them isn't required or would that end up with a completely new rocket which cannot be considered to be a modification of a microsat-rocket any longer but would be a complete new rocket merely?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 pm
I don't know of any active launchers that I would call "microsat" launchers at the moment, though there are very small launchers.

Many of these accelerate very quickly. It might be fun, up to a point (it's not fun when you pass out)

Now, take the Pegasus. It's only 1.2M in diameter. Anything you put atop it is going to bulge out quite a bit which may or may not be a problem. (see Atlas V). But at some point, the CG is going to become interesting

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:57 pm
The Pegasus only launches very small payloads, it doesn't need to be very wide - and the Atlas generally only uses the wider fairing in missions where it is also using solid rocket boosters, to allow it to launch larger weights. You can put a wider fairing on, but it's prefered not to.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:22 pm
I know. Ekkehard was hypthesizing, I think, about putting a manned capsule on a microsat launcher. Pegasus was the smallest one I could think of at the moment.

Scout was smaller. Their may be a few other smaller ones that I am not aware of, besides vaporware.

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:28 pm
bad_astra wrote:
Their may be a few other smaller ones that I am not aware of, besides vaporware.
How about the Jupiter-C?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter-C_%28rocket%29
It used several stages, some of which were clusters of small solid rocket motors. The payload would be smaller than a person though, much less a person plus space craft.

(EDIT) The Vanguard rocket was pretty small too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_rocket

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:35 pm
Well I was thinking of ones that currently exist.

Profile YIM
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:31 pm
Hello, bad_astra,

I haven't been hypothesizing - Talis is in fact speaking of offering suborbital flights by capsule on top of their microsat-rocket. They are speaking of doing it by a modified version of their "Enterprise"-rocket.

This caused my questions and this thread.

Concerning the microsat-rocket currently under development they are mentioning the large market for such rockets in the nearby future. So they expect to have very much launches of that rocket. It's semi-reusable. They will NOT have that number of launches at the suborbital market in the same nearby fiuture I suppose. Because of this my first thought was that they might think of modify "Enterprise for bundling to be able to launche a manned capsule or vehicle.

Al this and perhaps more I want to stress here.

Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:08 pm
Just to add a detail - the modified version of Enterprise for suborbital flight will be single-staged if they realy do that modification.