Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Possible alternative way to generate electricity in space?

Possible alternative way to generate electricity in space?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:58 am
 [ 33 posts ] 
Possible alternative way to generate electricity in space? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58 pm
And a flourishing drug market. Don't forget that, now.......

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:16 am
It's not what I had in mind initially when I started this thread and it wouldn't work in the distance of Jupiter I think but perhaps it might be an option in the inner solar system, at the moon or so:

I ead that there is no doubt anymore that cold fusion is possible. The problem with it is that much more enegry has to be consumed to generate shockwaves casuing the cold fusion than is got from the fusion. For this reason cold fusion could be used as a source of neutrons only for security checks at airports.

But what about cold fusion in space? Solar energy is available for free in space. So even if much more energy is consumed than got it wouldn't cost as much as on Earth - in Dollars.

It might be that this way could provide an alternative way to distribute or compress energy or its source.

I still have to think and to doubt about it -a nd it wouldn't have to do with propulsion no way.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:42 am
There was anarticle under www.wissenschaft.de this week saying that scientists have driven a nano-scale resonator by the force of photons - NOT by their radiation energy.

They applied the optical force caused by the motion of an electromagnatic field.

Because of this my thought is that photons coming from the sun might be applied to drive a nano-scale generator that delivers a very very very small amount of energy. There might be lots of such generators.

The photons are available even at distances where solar power can't be applied because of insufficient light.

The article refers to Hong Tang, Yale-University in New Haven and his team as well as to Nature ( www.nature.com/ ), Online-Prepublication (DOI: 10.1038/nature07545).

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)