Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Consumable High Pressure Tanks for Rockets.

Consumable High Pressure Tanks for Rockets.

Posted by: _UGN_ - Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 pm
 [ 17 posts ] 
Consumable High Pressure Tanks for Rockets. 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Consumable High Pressure Tanks for Rockets.   Posted on: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:57 am
Yes, that idea is nearly the same, well the same, as mine. Now I'm left in this post with the 'balloon rocket'. It hurt but it's good for them that they did something about it.
MisterQED wrote:
An idea similar to this came up at the HalfBakery some time ago:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Piston_2 ... 1220636704
It became a contest entry:
http://www.createthefuturecontest.com/p ... tryID=1863

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Consumable High Pressure Tanks for Rockets.   Posted on: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 am
Okay playing devils advocate, this would be extremely difficult to model. You would have to perfectly sink the consumption of you tank material, to the pressure regime of tank. This would have to be across the whole range of mission profile.

You would have to take into account the following.

1/ Increase in tank shell stress as external pressure decays with altitude, thus the requirement for more strength as you get higher rather than less.

2/ Aerothermal heating effects & chilling with altitude. Thus would effect the consumption rate of your tank material, and could make any form of polymer either soften or fracture. Big problem.

3/ Dynamic pressure (Max Q) here is a doosey for your to solve.

I would predict that you would need to start with a very heavy walled tank, with a massive safety factor against burst pressure. With the assumption it has enough strength left at burn out once its encountered the regime I have listed there. The end result a very heavy tank at launch and thus additional performance lost.

Most ideas sound good at initial glance, but once you dig down into the real requirements faced to design a successful rocket system they start to come a little unstuck. I don't think this one would yield any benefits over a light weight non-consumble tank design.

I have been investigating the idea of cardboard tubes for rocket tanks, with reinforcement by composites. Cardboard tubes have great longitudinal strength, and provide decent insulation. Why not coat the inside of one with an Alfoil barrier and then coat the outside with E-glass or Carbon epoxy (hoop wraps could be done by hand). Walla light weight & cheap composite tanks.

Just a thought?.

Profile WWW