Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > The next X-Prize, X Cup? A Superbowl of space exploration?

The next X-Prize, X Cup? A Superbowl of space exploration?

Posted by: siderwhite - Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:44 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
The next X-Prize, X Cup? A Superbowl of space exploration? 
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:47 am
Yes - the competitons will be good stimulations even if they would be rocket shows.

The investors however might miss incentives if no prizes are to be won that provide revenues, profits etc. Sponsors might miss public relation- and advertising-effects that they can make use of in newspapers and the like. So perhaps negative consequences from these groups are to be expected if there were not prizes. And altitudes, velocities and numbers of passengers are felt as sensations by potential customers of sponsors like nothing else I can imagine this moment.

So progresses could be provided a prize perhaps - but it would be an additional one which would require additional fund rising. The CUP (upper case because it's not a cup prize among several cup prizes but THE cup as a kind of trademark, Dr_Keith_H :-) ) has been announced and so it shouldn't removed. This is valid for the rules too.

Your proposals should be added to the design of the competition and especially the date is an excellent idea I think.

But the XPRIZE Foundation shouldn't set a prize for reaching the orbit since Bigelow has done that already. Let's see what else it could do once Bigelow's prize is won in a couple of years.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

EDIT: By the way, Dr_Keith_H, what about integrating parts of the technology competitions and prizes the Foundation will conduct together with the World Technology Net into the events of the CUP?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:31 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
The investors however might miss incentives if no prizes are to be won that provide revenues, profits etc. Sponsors might miss public relation- and advertising-effects that they can make use of in newspapers and the like. So perhaps negative consequences from these groups are to be expected if there were not prizes. And altitudes, velocities and numbers of passengers are felt as sensations by potential customers of sponsors like nothing else I can imagine this moment.

Well, at all the technology demonstrator shows I ever went to (not a lot it's true) I did not see one single prize given out, but I did see "competitors" pay big money for space in an environment which caught the attention of big media ... which speaks volumes about the true prize that these "competitors" were after - that being capturing the lion's share of the media attention available.

Prizes are fine if you can afford it, but do you think Ansari's going to give X million bucks away every year? And remember she came really late with her much needed boost to the Xprize, only at a time when it looked like someone might just win, so maximizing the perceived value of her donation (please don't imagine that I think what she did was negative in any way, I'm just trying to point out that the Xprize was a much bigger deal than the Xprize cup can ever be). The cup can't afford to rely on benefactors ... not a good idea if you want it to be self sustaining.

Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
The CUP (upper case because it's not a cup prize among several cup prizes but THE cup as a kind of trademark, Dr_Keith_H :-) ) has been announced and so it shouldn't removed.

I never liked that, it's a gimmick that reduces the likelyhood of any given individual to take it seriously ...

DKH

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:32 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
EDIT: By the way, Dr_Keith_H, what about integrating parts of the technology competitions and prizes the Foundation will conduct together with the World Technology Net into the events of the CUP?

I can't think of a reason why not.

DKH

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:04 am
Dr_Keith_H wrote:

So if Diamandis can pull everyone together every year, say on the anniversary of SS1's capturing the Xprize, to at least show off what they've got (or what they haven't ... e.g. Wildfire shell design XXIX) ... then he would be on a winner with a real chance of eventually building on to bigger and more amazing things.

It seems that Peter Diamandis is moving on, or at least branching out, to smaller and more amazing things. Something about nanotechnology...