Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > IS TRUE SUMMER 2005 IS LAST DAY OF X-PRIZE?

IS TRUE SUMMER 2005 IS LAST DAY OF X-PRIZE?

Posted by: Principles - Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:52 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
IS TRUE SUMMER 2005 IS LAST DAY OF X-PRIZE? 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post IS TRUE SUMMER 2005 IS LAST DAY OF X-PRIZE?   Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:52 pm
If so... That soo selfish. Another team haven't catch up yet. They actually spend $1,000 for x-prize registration. YUCKS! Everybody knows Burt Rutan is going to win because he have experience building an airplane for years.

O.k. finally, I ask my friend to join rocket project. He refuse...

My friend again said "IT TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. YOU BUILT FOR NOTHING! WHEN YOU BUILT A ROCKETSHIP YOU HAVE TO EXTRA IRS TAX AND LOCAL STATE TAX FOR USING MANUFACTURE'S EQUIPMENT. YOU USE YOUR HEAD! TO MAKE IT SAFE SPACE FLIGHT -- ALL YOU NEED IS COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND FLIGHT SIMULATOR."

He send me this email.
http://www.space.com/news/xprize_summer_040429.html

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:07 am
No its not the end. There will be a X-Prize-cup ever year. Also any donation to the X Prize Foundation is tax deductible since the X Prize Foundation is a non-profit organization. This is depended on where you live and the tax codes. But the USA it is a tax deductible.

If he is not interested in the/you rocket project then he is not interest.

The article refers to the 10 million main (X-Prize). This is an insurance policy that expires at the end of 2004. Also if you read it all it tells you about the X-Prize Cup.

Beyond the Benefits of Space Tourism there are also a lot of other activities is space that are waiting for an orbital ship to be developed and that is the next step. Things like space hotels, commercial laboratories, factories and NASA’s new mission (Moon, Mars and beyond). And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The X-Prize is giving an incentive for development and improvement of that first link that will be needed for all space activities. NASA Shuttles are to old and where only meant as research vehicles (that why they cost so much and has a lousy safety margin ) they where not made to transport the public (Even though a lot of people have a false belief that they where, thank to the media). The Shuttles are to be retired at the end of the decade and the explorer ship that is to replace them will be handling longer mission Moon, Mars and beyond that. And this opens up the day to day operations in orbit for these teams to service.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:30 am
Principles wrote:
If so... That soo selfish. Another team haven't catch up yet. They actually spend $1,000 for x-prize registration. YUCKS! Everybody knows Burt Rutan is going to win because he have experience building an airplane for years.

O.k. finally, I ask my friend to join rocket project. He refuse...

My friend again said "IT TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. YOU BUILT FOR NOTHING! WHEN YOU BUILT A ROCKETSHIP YOU HAVE TO EXTRA IRS TAX AND LOCAL STATE TAX FOR USING MANUFACTURE'S EQUIPMENT. YOU USE YOUR HEAD! TO MAKE IT SAFE SPACE FLIGHT -- ALL YOU NEED IS COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND FLIGHT SIMULATOR."

Now THIS is funny! :lol:

Where's your spirit of adventure, man? And what wrong with a: "Winner Take All" contest? That's what happens in the Lottery.....

Let me make something clear: Young kids are dying every single day in Iraq. We've got a President that clearly refuses to face his (and the rest of our country's) horrible mistake.

And boy, do I get tired of thinking about it.

Well: along comes the X-Prize, and Space Ship One, and for a few moments, I get to forget about Iraq. And the waste. And the theft. And the friends that have lost their jobs to China, India, Mexico.....

That means a lot to me, as well as millions of other US space-buffs, who privately agonize over our Country's present situation. My spirit, for a moment, soars with private citizen Mike Melvill as he flies to 62 miles above the Earth. 62 miles! That's getting pretty darn close to the height of a low Earth Orbit.......

On the other hand: There will always be people who will live in a self-made critical world. Those who would rather get upset, then strive in earnest for their own X-Prize, in all of it's incarnations. God Bless them.

But as for me, and many many others like me: I'll fly with Mike and the gang.

So maybe this is the inspiration, the private-company proof-of-concept for the: "Orient Express."

Let's finish developing a viable scramjet, and get that baby rolling.

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"-Doc

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:49 am
It's so "one sided" the topic from Principles.

You can be negative and positive about "everything", (politics is a good example), just with a diffrent style of writing and ignoring parts.
I agree with hellorocket, xprize is finaly something positive that breaks all the sad news!
Maybe that's why Nelson Mandela etc tries to avoids bush and is publicly against him (and a long list of other Nobel Prize Winners)... cause his tactics are fear instead of optimistic thinking as Clinton, Reagan,.. did.. I wonder what the US public will deside this year (I can't vote.. no US citizen).

I'm very happy Principles is sharing this with us, instead of accepting his opinion as a reality.
Cause I think there're many more who're just not going to post over here and just move on.

You can read some other negative comments on bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3693716.stm

One of my favorite:
"Even if I had the money I wouldn't go when there are so many incredible places to visit on the ground. Unfortunately it is narrow-minded and pointless tourist ventures like this designed for equally narrow-minded people with more money than sense which are rapidly making space seem like a better option for all of us!"

- Having no gravity, and all the games, stuff you can do in no gravity :)
- Helping to get easy acces to space for science etc.. (space research have helped us all in medical, technological (gps, etc), wheather forecast etc etc).

A humans mind can be so perfect... so perfect in just telling a lie to itself ;)

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:43 am
Principles, plz ! before you 'submit' any other sentence to this forum, think before you do. Maybe you're interests are with another subject then human space flight ... :?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: IS TRUE SUMMER 2005 IS LAST DAY OF X-PRIZE?   Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:14 pm
Principles wrote:
ALL YOU NEED IS COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND FLIGHT SIMULATOR

Hearing ignorant armchair attitudes like reminds me how lucky we are to have the people involved in the X Prize. People who are prepared to take risks, financial and mortal, to push forward scientific development and exploration for the eventual benefits of mankind. If it were for people with your attitude to decide, commercial aviation could have taken another 100 years.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:43 am
I heard somewhere website: January 1, 2005 is deadline for the Ansari X Prize. How can you explain that?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:57 am
This is a contest and you have to have a winner. No one forced any of the teams to sign up and they did so knowing the rules and the outcomes. There is neither fair nor unfair if the winner managed to abide by all the regulations. As for the 1 grand, it is there to ensure that the team is sincere in its bid for the prize more than anything else.

Considering that the X Prize committee has been fairly liberal about potential teams (with the exception of 'ahem'), i don't see how could your argument stand.

Furthermore, all the teams look beyond winning the X Prize and will continue development. While the teams would be more than happy to win the prize and take the financial rewards, it is more than than. The teams recongize that the Prize a platform to pitch themselves to potential investors as well as to educate the general public. Generating awareness and credibility is the ultimate goals of this contest which has come a long way and is something i believe will bear out in the future.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:52 am
January 1, 2005 is when the 10 million dollar main prize expires. It is an insurance policy that runs out on January 1, 2005.

The X-Prize Cup will be held annually.

In my first post there are two links that will answer your questions.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:33 am
Quote:
as well as millions of other US space-buffs, who privately agonize over our Country's present situation.

First - I don't think that Principle is somehow anti-space to root against Scaled. Scaled was the favorite, and people will always root for the underdog. Afterall, Scaled was funded by Microsquash $$, which some consider the true epitome of the evil empire. However, it does seem to me that Scaled gave their competitors plenty of time - there are, after all, only 3 months left to win the prize. As Principle was mistaken in the assumption that there was much more, his/her argument falls apart.

Second - Are there really millions of space buffs (agonizing or not)? Give the low turnout at the X-prize launch, it wouldn't seem like it. However, does it matter if the general public cares about space exploration or not?

I think not. I'm not worried if most people would rather go to Belize that on a rocket ride, as long as there's enough fellow travelers to make my moon shot possible. Luckily, studies on the potential space tourism market seem to indicate that there are.

Folks, this isn't Nightfall - there's no mob ranting that rockets are evil and must be prevented from launching at all costs. The real hurdles are the technological difficulties, goverment inertia, and the inevitable bad press and lawsuits that will result when the first civilian space accident results in fatalities. Forget the fact that car wrecks kill people everyday on their way to work - this will be the kind of story the media loves to splash on page 1, and motivates lawyers to begin rushing to the scene of the accident.

The point is - Principle's friend really doesn't bother me, and neither does some negative press. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion - including Hellorocket and Sigurd in their shameless plugs for Kerry. I'll be booking my trip to the moon in about 20 years to visit the Bush memorial lunar outpost. :)

SS1, our prayers and best wishes go with you for a successful winning flight tomorrow. Good luck!

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Insurance policy   Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:12 pm
Ah, I didn't realize that the xprize was based on an insurance policy. (though looking at every other million-dollar prize, I should have realized).

Does anyone know how much $ was actually put up for the $10-mill prize policy? I'd be curious to know how much less they spent, and if this will mean these types of prizes will be harder to obtain in the future, as they will have had to pay out the $10mill.
- binarysunrise

Profile WWW