Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize

Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize

Posted by: Sigurd - Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:21 pm
 [ 63 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize   Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:21 pm
Latest news at: http://x-prize.blogspot.com/

http://x-prize.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_ ... 6039986241

"Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize because of their racism attitudes"

Maybe the xprize organization itself.. saw the reactions on this forum :lol: and saw that many thought that it looked "very" crappy.
But anyway.. why did they accept them as a team in the first place ?.. :?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:42 pm
Maybe they never paid the entry fee? Where do these charges of racism come from?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:56 pm
Bullspace wrote:
Maybe they never paid the entry fee? Where do these charges of racism come from?

It's standing on their official website:
http://www.blueridgeairlines.com/products115295.html
04-12-2004 Blue Ridge Nebula's Family team is kicked out of X-Prize because of their racism attitudes, The BRNA companys boycotts Zero Gravity foundations management behaver ,and moves on , and into first place in the commercial / Third wave airlines " race for space". Third major flight of the family line of the ( first man made "real" FAA registerd) Haynes Flying Saucers will be this summer. Please stop by in Colorado to see aviation history in the making, thanks for the on going support, 5 k site hits this year, and God Bless you all.

Quote:
Maybe they never paid the entry fee?

Well, maybe that's true.. they don't seem to have any "good matrials" either.. and I don't think they can go into space with WOOD... atleast.. I don't wanne be in that thing..

Nothing against black people.. I know a lot personal...
But I would never suggest to use or support such a terrible design...

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post BRNA   Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Is that a screen-door on the front of that thing?

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:00 pm
Seriously does that thing really fly? I'm sorry but it looks about as viable of a space vehicle as the wooden paintball tank my friends and I have built is as viable for use as a real tank.

Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:28 pm
Okay, that was wierd.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:17 am
idiom wrote:
Okay, that was wierd.

I've heard of wooden heat shields for possible use on reentry but the picture in Sigurd's post is a far cry from a working anything in my opinion. I've done a lot of work with wood on that tank I mentioned and if that 'space vehicle' pictured can actually fly under its own power and land in one piece I'll be amazed.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:27 am
I don't think they said that the pictured vehicle flies. They said that a small two foot prototype flew, but I can't find anything saying that the 12 foot model did.

That tank is pretty extreme tj. Some people have too much time on their hands :)

Profile WWW
Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post technical review process?   Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:41 pm
I was one of the ones who expressed amazement that the X-Prize folks would even accept an entry like this in the first place. After all, they turned down the antigrav application from Hungary. Is there not some sort of review process in place to screen entries?

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:00 pm
The blue neb likely met all the technical requirements. Or the review board wasn't quite awake that day.

The time it takes to build a flying model and then a scale mock-up indicates at least some sort of honest effort.

From the website:

Quote:
Charles Lindbergh could not wait to fly the Zimmerman’s V-173 (FX5U-1) Flying Saucer shaped, multi engine aircraft after he personally witnessed the survivability of its inherently superior sub-structure, and its over all advanced performances capabilities. Lindberg enjoyed the round shaped aircraft flight experience so much that he was prompted to design his own impression of how a Flying Sauce should be constructed. Now Blue Ridge Nebula brings the advanced, natural stealthily, airframe shaped design to the cutting edge of the aerospace science, and airline, communitys in the form of our Haynes Saucer HSGS-711.

But that was really wierd.

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:29 pm
Why would a commercial airliner need stealth?

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Flying Flapjacks   Posted on: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:37 am
At least the V-173 was an interesting aircraft (although I did not follow what possible connection it has to Blue Nebula :) ). See http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/aircraft/flapjack.htm. Also, I could not find any evidence that Lindbergh flew it, but I suppose it's possible.

It is also possible that the X-Prize technical people vetted Blue Ridge Nebula and decided that their project was viable. (not that I am totally confident in that being the case :roll: )

A lot of things are possible. ... some, and here's my point, a lot more than others ... and some, a lot less than reality. :lol:

But, it keeps us entertained until Scaled or Armadillo or Canadian Arrow or one of the more "possible" groups win the X-Prize.

Onward and upward.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 am
Other than a rather tenous similarity in flying saucer shape I don't see any relation between the V-173 and anything on Blue Ridge Nebula's site. The supposed flight profile of BRN's HSGS-711 with verticle takeoff and verticle landing capability make it a radically different craft than the V-173. Going by thier page here http://www.blueridgeairlines.com/new115296.html you can't even tell how many engines it's supposed to have. The 'pictures' indicate four but they claim only to use two Hybrid Ramjet engines once they're at two or three miles altitude. It almost seems to indicate that the hybrid ramjets are the same as the normally aspirated ramjets but it could also indicate that it's got six ramjets, along with whatever powerplant/drive system that is going to get them past the atmosphere and attain Mach 80 to 100 flight speeds without the use of an atmosphere to feed the ramjets. I'm also surprised mock-up or whatever that if it's supposed to use anywhere from two to six ramjets that it doesn't seem to have air intakes, unless what seem to be windows are supposed to be intakes. :? Besides if it does have some sort of 'gravity drive' why even bother with the ramjets?

Certainly seems to be severely lacking in many things if it's a real endeavor and if it's simply a hoax it's also lacking a lot. Going by their flight profile pictures though certainly reminded me of the Japanese giant monster Gamera. Somehow I think it's a lot closer relation to the giant flying turtle than V-173. :lol:

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:24 am
Technology pictures... NOTE THIS IS PANTENTATED HARDWARE AND TECHNOLOGY :lol: :lol: :lol:

ATTENTION: FAA didn't offered a license YET, to have a laugh :lol: :lol:
But good news, Nebula is investing millions to convince the FAA that they need one ;)

Very NICE.. looking good.... (the girl 8) )
Nice, seems to be good... photoshoot.. what's trash on the background ?
Very cool.. it's a hot picture.... I may buy it.. for this summers camp fire...
Attention, this is only for children between 6 and 12.. to play and act they will ever fly in a real xprize team vehicle :lol:
YES! sir... this space vehicle comes with an OPEN ROOF!! and with no extra costs.
Attention people... the car on the left.. is CAPABLE of moving more trash than any other vehicle, also patentated!
And we prayed for god to go up... nothing hapenned.. we'll try again tomorrow :roll:
Maybe he has to come out of the box.. to see reality :lol:

Pictures linked from: http://www.bluenebula.com/
Page: http://www.bluenebula.com/schedule63259.html

:lol: http://www.bluenebula.com/new63231.html

Soon they claim they use PHOTOSHOP :shock:

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:20 am
Sigurd wrote:
Soon they claim they use PHOTOSHOP :shock:

Poorly at that.

I still think those pictures of theirs look like Gamera.

http://www.shrineofgamera.com/images/g1/g1047.jpg

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next