Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > O.K I heard Burt Rutan did something illegal.Check this out.

O.K I heard Burt Rutan did something illegal.Check this out.

Posted by: Splinter - Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:11 am
 [ 18 posts ] 
O.K I heard Burt Rutan did something illegal.Check this out. 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post O.K I heard Burt Rutan did something illegal.Check this out.   Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:11 am
O.K. I read XPRIZE Rules.---" Flight vehicles will have to be privately financed and built. Entrants will be precluded from using a launch vehicle substantially developed under a government contract or grant. Entrants will be prohibited from receiving any direct funding, subsidies, and grants of money, goods, or services from any government (or otherwise tax-supported entity). Entrants will be permitted to utilize government facilities if access to such facilities is generally available to all entrants. Any such goods or services used in connection with the competition must be available to other entrants on similar terms. Entrants will be permitted to utilize subsystems previously developed by a government agency that are currently available on a commercial or equal-access government-surplus basis, or for which manufacturing rights and specifications are available on an equal-access basis"

SpaceDev is part of government and NASA sponsoring. I heard Burt Rutan did recieve some goods. So, if he recieves the good can he enter XPRIZE?
What if he wins XPRIZE from scratch without letting XPRIZE member knew it.
Second, I also heard Burt Rutan got funded by paul allan somewhere in this board. Any ideas, Did burt Rutan cheated the secert project? Send Feed back. I'm happy to hear from you.
http://www.avweb.com/newswire/9_39a/lea ... 713-1.html

SpaceDev (OTCBB: SPDV) creates and sells affordable and innovative space products and solutions to government and commercial enterprises. SpaceDev products and solutions include the design, manufacture, marketing and operation of sophisticated micro and nano satellites, hybrid rocket-based orbital Maneuvering and orbital Transfer Vehicles (MoTVs) as well as safe sub-orbital and orbital hybrid rocket-based propulsion systems. SpaceDev has been awarded contracts from NASA, National Reconnaissance Organization (NRO), Boeing, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), California Space Authority (CSA) Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) and several commercial customers. SpaceDev is also developing commercial hybrid rocket motors and small high performance space vehicles and subsystems.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Skandinavia, Europe, Blue planet
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:22 am
Why all this bullshit about Butan cheating...
There is nothing illegal about getting sponsored by Paul Allen..
Its part of the game to find a sponsor/investor...

And yes Buan has work on government projects..
But that has nothing to with SpaceShipOne...

And there has been other team to been excluded because they used an government teknologi.... So stop this bullshit...

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:25 am
I see no problem at this moment...
And the information that Burt Rutan is contracting SpaceDev was even reported a while ago on the news site of x-prize ... posted by x-prize itself.

SpaceDev has contracts with NASA and other government companies, but it's an other project in their company...

Quote:
Second, I also heard Burt Rutan got funded by paul allan somewhere in this board. Any ideas, Did burt Rutan cheated the secert project? Send Feed back. I'm happy to hear from you.

ANY person may sponsor any team if they want and the team accepts it, Paul Allen is no more then a normal business person.. if he puts 10 Billion, or even 100 Billion US$ into Spave Ship One, then it's still no problem, that's still private funded.

Thanx for sharing, if the sudden rumors stay, I think I'll contact one of the xprize team members for a public explenation of the rules and if there is a problem with scaled or not. Just to eliminate the rumors.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:36 am
This not bullshit stuff you hear everyday. The links and information are 100% real. There is company called "SpaceDev" is privately large, IPO, and funded by government and NASA. By Xprize's rules, you can't do that. I mean it would hurt other competitor's expenses. I don't see John Carmack, Jeff Bezo, canadian rocket, Devici, etc use government technology. The teams build by hands and skills. If you know these teams use government technology send me a link. :?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:41 am
now this thread about cheating is still wrong, but at least it's worded sensibly, if people with serious questions ask them they will get serious answers instead of flaming, CHEATER.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:42 am
Even the smallest chip can, or **GPS** is sponsored by the governmnet.
So if scaled is wrong, John Carmack team will fail with GPS also.

X-Prize is about beeing able to CREATE without direct government funding, with private investors a space vehicle, it's not forbiden to use anything the government helped to develop in the past.... else kinda almost all would be forbidden... xprize isn't made to stop the space development progress with huge limitations...

And yes we know SpaceDev really exists, I even looket at their stocks value yesterday. and I know there other customers, it's all very public written on their website, and it's not against the rules ;)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:49 am
No, this is real stuff to talk about. If I were your team and build a rocket together by hands, skills, and energies. We built a nice rocket from our money. It works!!! We didn't use government technology from scratch

One of the company got endosement from government funds, goods, and other private stuff. How do you feel if other team won, they used government technologies?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:58 am
Splinter wrote:
No, this is real stuff to talk about. If I were your team and build a rocket together by hands, skills, and energies. We built a nice rocket from our money. It works!!! We didn't use government technology from scratch

One of the company got endosement from government funds, goods, and other private stuff. How do you feel if other team won, they used government technologies?

i'd be pissed, but rutan is using legitimate stuff, i mean the x-prize board knows what his project has been done with, and they haven't kicked him so he's fine. and having paul allen as a sponsor isn't any more illegal than having john carmack as a team leader.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:05 am
Business is with having the best contracts, best people and best investors.

If an other team doesn't have that, then it's sorry for them, it may sound hard, but it's reality.

If GM would make cars by hand, part by part, but not better cars as BMW or other company, then they will also fall out of business and fail...

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:07 am
Hmmmm... X-Prize rules are hard to understand. :twisted:
"Entrants will be permitted to utilize subsystems previously developed by a government agency that are currently available on a commercial or equal-access government-surplus basis, or for which manufacturing rights and specifications are available on an equal-access basis"

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:19 am
that's pretty obviously going to go in rutan's favor, whatever he is using, if in fact it is anything.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:25 am
If an other team doesn't have that, then it's sorry for them, it may sound hard, but it's reality.

Nahh, not that kind of behavior, sound too greedy...

Wilbur wright killed himself from anger, there was a rich french ccmpany called " Curtiss" and stole his inventions. Curtiss was largely funded by French investors and accessible tools. Curtiss accidently assisnated wilbur's character (wilbur got ill), because wilbur did the flying invention without government's money. Later, french company change it name and credit "Wright-Curtiss"

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:30 am
them not having it and them not having access to it are two different things, and i can guarentee you that none of the things rutan has are any more unfair than the stuff other teams have, unless you consider having more experience to be cheating.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:20 am
The thing is to build a cheap space ship, to bring man into space.

A weather in space message board!
http://cat5superstorm.proboards18.com/index.cgi

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:55 am
I will believe it when, I see it.

A weather in space message board!
http://cat5superstorm.proboards18.com/index.cgi