Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > XPC/PSE

XPC/PSE

Posted by: spacecowboy - Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:45 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
XPC/PSE 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post XPC/PSE   Posted on: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:45 pm
Okay, the Foundation's website isn't too clear, but it seems as if some sort of fair or exposition is going to be taking place this October. Is this true, or are the events going to be delayed until A) The SRS is finished (or at least started), or B) There's actual vehicles to compete in the Cup?

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 am
"Tentative Schedule:

2005 will be a 4-day event and will feature our Personal Spaceflight Exposition and provide an introduction of the overall XPC&PSE.

2006 Event will feature exhibition flights of our X PRIZE CUP races and will be held at the White Sands Missile Range.

2007 Event will formally open the full XPC&PSE with the start of competitive race to space flights and low altitude races. The races and the Personal Spaceflight Exposition will be held at their permanent home, the Southwest Regional Spaceport in Southern New Mexico."

It does look as if there will be an event held... I wonder when they will start making details of this public...

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:08 pm
And thanks for pointing that out, Cathleen, I wonder how I missed it.... <urgh> Anyways, that's something for me to keep in mind.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post more details ...   Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 4:41 pm
Here is some information I received from someone involved in the festivities. I am assuming all of this is tenative...:

Theme: “X PRIZE Cup – Your Ticket to Space.”
Showcasing how Competition Stimulates Innovation and Industrial Development – how it took us from balloons to spaceships (handoff from Balloon Festival to XPC) – from 19th Century: Balloons to 20th Century: Aircraft/aviation to 21st Century: Spaceships.

ShowcasingNew Mexico – the leader of “contemporary space” – a place to launch careers in the future of space.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Pre-events leading up to XPC Week
- Space Film Festivals
- Art/Photography exhibits related to space (or contests)
- Space contests in Schools – awards to be handed out Oct. 9th at WSMR event
- Publicity, Advertising, Promos
- Cross promos and other announcement (i.e. Paris Air Show, Oshkosh)

Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Press Conference in Las Cruces to announce events (see above)

April: Press conference at Space Foundation, Colorado Springs
May:
June: Press conference at Paris Air Show, Le Bourget, France
July
August: Press conference at Oshkosh, Wisconsin
September:
October: Cross promotion at Balloon Festival – flying of XPC Balloon
XPC Week events (see below)

Tuesday, October 4, 2005
– Gala in Albuquerque to celebrate the flight history of NM from Balloons to Spaceflight; hosted by Governor Bill Richardson and Dr. Peter Diamandis, Founder and Chairman, X PRIZE Foundation
– Dedication of the SPACE TRAIL by Gov. Richardson
– Press interviews

Thursday October 6, 2005
– Transportation of students/teachers/parents to Alamogordo Space History Museum for overnight.

Friday October 7, 2005
– Education Day Project with New Mexico Students/Teachers/Parents, Alamogordo Space History Museum
– Space Symposium – Day 1, NMSU, Las Cruces

Saturday October 8, 2005
– Travel the Space Trail – initiation. Road Rally with prizes, statewide
– Trailer Traveling Show: Spirit of Space Tour
– Continuation of Space Symposium – Day 2, NMSU, Las Cruces
– Breakfast with X PRIZE Teams, Las Cruces

Sunday October 9, 2005
White Sands Missile Range
– Space Ship Exhibits and Team presentations-models
o Replicas of SpaceShipOne and other top teams
o Exhibit of X PRIZE Flight Hardware
– Demo Flights of Private hardware:
o XCOR’s EZ Rocket (Tier-1 vehicle category)
o Armadillo’s vertical take-off and landing vehicle
o Scaled Composite’s White Knight (carrier aircraft)
– Zero Gravity Flights (aboard G-Force One):
o Teachers & Students)
o Road Rally winners
– Fly-Inn:
o Balloon
o Aircraft
– Public viewing of Traveling show and teams forum
– Sponsorship exhibits at Static Display
– Closing Ceremonies; Burial of time Capsule; Prize Awards
– Announcement of Prizes for ’06 XPC & PSE

OTHER EVENTS:

In support of the 2005 Inaugural Event the XPF will plan and coordinate the following activities:

Science Center Exhibit. Since fall is the end of the traveling circuit for science centers, the show could "winter" in New Mexico, traveling to a few towns in the Southwest Region – Albuquerque, El Paso area and perhaps Phoenix and/or Oklahoma City (depending on costs and sponsorships). The New Mexico Museum of Space History could provide a site where NSS could remain on display while being maintained and/or upgraded. (This also helps to open the sponsorship door for other New Mexico State Departments and businesses.)

The X PRIZE Cup Competitions. A portion of our 2005-focus is defining and organizing the X PRIZE CUP contests, rules and contestant teams for the exhibition competitions, to be demonstrated in 06 and begin in ‘07. The announcement of the contests, rules and teams becomes the companion theme for our inaugural event. (There is a possibility of having a flight demonstration in 05 together with hardware displays and even rocket engine firings provided by some of the teams.) Vendor companies will be invited to display their products and services.

Travel the Space Trail. Because the vehicles for our X PRIZE CUP teams are not ready for launch in 2005, we propose that we host a Road Rally on Saturday, October 8th to initiate and inaugurate the proposed New Mexico Space Trail. We would organize trips, races and clues that will result in prizes issued on Sunday, October 9th. We suggest that the Legislature declare the Space Trail “officially open for travel.”

Space Symposium. With the cooperation and permission of New Mexico State University, XPF will coordinate and organize a space symposium at the university at Las Cruces on Friday and Saturday, October 7-8.

As part of this event, we will formally announce the results from our Personal Spaceflight Industry Group (PSIG) progress on developing the Consensus Standards, which govern the XPC contests and contestants as well as the future development and operations governing Personal Spaceflight.

The 2005 event will provide additional data on audience demographics, reactions, likes and dislikes, wants and desires that will be very valuable for planning our 2006 exhibition event and for developing refined requirement specs for the SRS and the 2007 initial competition event.

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 4:50 pm
flight,

Thanks for the info and welcome on the forum :)

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 4:57 pm
No problem. Information about the event seems a tad scarce. Hopefully more will be known in the days, weeks and months ahead. Thanks for the welcome.

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 5:07 pm
flight wrote:
No problem. Information about the event seems a tad scarce. Hopefully more will be known in the days, weeks and months ahead. Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, there isn't a lot info public... I developed a new community for the xprize organisation as promised, http://www.xprizefoundation.com/community/ but their response each time is very slow;.. they are extreamly bussy... so it will take a while before that community goes online... and I guess it's the same for all other features and general news... too few people, money, resources, so much "endless" work, more resources would only make more work possible.... (so don't blame the xprize org. ;))

Same with the new xprizenews.org website (spaceracenews.com), so much work... almost no time... but in time... all will be all ready and public :)

I added you in my MSN and Yahoo Messenger.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post excellent   Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 5:10 pm
Excellent ... I shall check back for their community. I believe I emailed you a few minutes ago at the xprize gmail email address. I will add you to my IM when I get home from the good 'ol job. Hooray.

Profile YIM WWW