Community > Forum > Official Team Prometheus Forum > Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat

Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat

Posted by: Monroe - Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:46 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:46 am
Nanosatisfi is thrilled to announce that Team Prometheus has joined the ArduSat project to provide two high-altitude test flights of the Arduino payload, one using a stratospheric balloon and one atop a suborbital rocket!

The first flight, scheduled for late September, will carry the payload prototype and flight computer to an altitude of 100,000 feet (roughly 30 km) using a balloon, and will allow for testing of the payload and sensor performance, onboard data handling protocols, and communication systems.

The second flight, scheduled for October, will launch a new payload prototype and flight computer to an altitude of roughly 40 miles (64 kilometres) atop a balloon-launched rocket. The flight will allow for further testing of the payload performance, in particular the effectiveness of the Arduino thermal control, and the ability of the payload to withstand launch vibrations and G-loads.

Team Prometheus, founded in 2008, is a not-for-profit organization whose goal is to develop affordable access to space and promote DIY space projects. It is the brainchild of Monroe Lee King Jr., the amateur space exploration enthusiast who founded and developed MEC Computers Inc in 1990, and Aeronautic Enterprises in 2009. He is currently leading Team Prometheus on a number of projects, including the N-Prize, NASA Centennial Challenge, Carmack Micro-Challenge, and Google Lunar X-Prize (in collaboration with Team Frednet).

ArduSat is proud to welcome Team Prometheus to the project, and is looking forward to leveraging their expertise in DIY space to help make ArduSat a success!

Ardusat has successfully made their Kickstarter! Visit and pledge to help cheap access to space! We need all the help we can get!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/575 ... e?ref=live

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 pm
Nice! I like the video on the kickstarter page. I might be able to visit for one of these launches, if you'd like more bodies.. Let's chat soon.

The ArduSat is a great idea, not even from any sort of outreach reason but just because it's so commodity. Having a way to spam something like that and make formations or whatnot would be incredible.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 pm
Good luck with this i promoted your kickstarter link despite you being a competitor on one of the forums i hang out on.

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... =7&t=19408

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 am
Really I cant tell you guy's how exciting it is to be involved with Ardusat! Finally something we can sink our teeth into. And it goes right along with our plans for the N-Prize, Micro Challenge and the Nasa Centennial Challenge. I have a launch scheduled for July and we are ground testing. The HIL and the guidance hardware has made great progress thanks to our friends and sponsor DIY Drones and the folks at FlightGear.
I've got Robert Brand at Echos of Apollo about to take over with the Team website so we can open up everything we have learned and get the real data we have collected out there for everyone to see.
So many things are gelling at once and that's pretty much how I expected it would happen if we just held on and kept going.
Elliot, I hope you can show up! We definitely want to get you back in and up to speed and any of the older teammates I haven't had time to talk to over the last 6 months.
Alex, thank you for the support! I hope we are all on the same side with this because it's going to take all of "Us" DIY Space guy's we can get together to make one really GREAT! Thing happen. Everyone is welcome to get onboard with us on this one!
I hope all this hard work over the last 4 years pay's off for everyone.
It looks like we have the right crew to get it done. Come on and help us out! Everyone that wants to is welcome.

Monroe
Today's the DAY!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:09 pm
We would also like to welcome our youngest member to the Team Jason Brand! He's 10 years old! Jason is in Y5 as school and is already well on hios=way to becoming an aerospace engineer. AT age 9 he became an amateur radio operator mainly working on HF bands. He is very accomplished at radio controlled flight and understands most aviation problems and flight systems.

Jason is also capable of launching a weather balloon to 30km (20 miles) and recovering it and using APRS. He needs a help with the driving of course! He can drive but only on private propery. Jason assists his father in selection of material and electronics for both DIY space systems and balloon experiments. He has made videos about DIY space and even construction of high pressure water rockets. He is able to tackle programming.

Welcome Jason!

Monroe Lee King Jr.
Captain: Team Prometheus

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus partners with Ardusat   Posted on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:58 am
Our youngest team member Jason just got interviewed on TV!
How cool is that! Check him out, he's going to space!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWh180cV ... e=youtu.be