Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > Will the prize be won?

Will the prize be won?

Posted by: Ben - Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:49 am
 [ 168 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Will the prize be won? 

Will N-Prizes be won by 19 September 2011 with the rules functionally equivalent to what they are now, including the current cost requirements?
Neither will be won. 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
The reusable prize will be won, but not the single spend. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
The single spend will be won, but not the reusable. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Both prizes will be won. 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 30

Will the prize be won? 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Will the prize be won?   Posted on: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:21 am
We still have an invite for teams that have given up or not able to finish their 'complete package' to join forces to make this challenge happen even if it takes longer than the 'final' deadline. It seems like so much talent is wasted by being spread out amongst so many different projects.

We have two launches coming up in the next month, one to 110,000' and the other to 30,000' for testing and I can't help but think there is a better way; something like a combined 'Team N-Prize' and thus reduce the time, effort, and cost of going it alone.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Will the prize be won?   Posted on: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 pm
Rick Maschek wrote:
...something like a combined 'Team N-Prize' and thus reduce the time, effort, and cost of going it alone.

Dear Rick,

Why not you start a new subject called "Team N-Prize"? The groups interested in joining their efforts can say what shall they offer to the others. For sure many people is doing the same in each group.

Best,
Joshua

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Will the prize be won?   Posted on: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 am
Hi Joshua,

A 'Team N-Prize'? I'll think about that. I believe I suggested that awhile back on the N-Prize website. I think the problem may be in the timing. Any team presently serious about the challenge is probably wanting to do it on their own and teams that have little done may have already vanished; if you look at the lack of recent comments from the teams they are either being super secret or are no longer. I think some interest might come after this last extention by Paul runs out next year.

Problem with working on 'your own project' is that things come up to distract you. I've just been hired to work on 6 motors for another project and these type of things come up all the time.

We did test our video tracking system this weekend, received video from 60 miles at 90,000' up. Even recorded an interesting flight by someone in some of the still frames from the GoPro/Canon cameras. Should be able to easily track ISS.

As you mention, some other teams are probably also doing this in addition to trying to get their launch vehicle built.

Will be doing some rocket testing this weekend with some university students I'm mentoring. And I suppose that's why I'm interested in the N-Prize, makes a great STEM project (-;

Rick

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Moderator: Paul H. Dear