Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > Telemetry systems and Tracking systems

Telemetry systems and Tracking systems

Posted by: Monroe - Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Telemetry systems and Tracking systems 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Telemetry systems and Tracking systems   Posted on: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm
Hey
I figured we could discuss Telemetry and Tracking here and share Ideas

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:24 am
I did a search on "DIY Weather Balloons" and found some useful information on telemetry and tracking.

The following website has a facinating description of a homemade weather balloon that took photos from 30KM. It has useful information on telemetry and tracking:

http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:44 am
This is a great site! I found this site before I entered the N-Prize and started the team. I was in aw of the photos. Check out Sondemonitor http://www.coaa.co.uk/sondemonitor.htm It is a cheaper solution if you can find a rs92-sgp radiosonde on ebay or on the sondemonitor yahoo group (thats were we got 2 of em) then all you need is a scanner and a laptop with a cheap GPS module (about $30) on ebay. It is the cheapest way to go I believe. We plan to launch one this week or early next week.

Monroe

good find!

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Telemetry systems and Tracking systems   Posted on: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am
Back in 2007 we (ASLI) investigated using one of the LEO constellations as a method to receive telemetry from a rocket. This has been successfully trialed by NASA some years ago using a commercially sourced Globalstar OEM data modem, launched in a sounding rocket. I know that the Qualcomm modems are out of the price range for N-prize, but perhaps some of the simplex offerings for Orbcomm or Iridium might be cheaper.

Use of existing space base based network would negate the need for your own ground based tracking stations and allow you to pull your data through the Internet to a laptop computer , pretty much anywhere in the world..If this was going onto your balloon platform you could even look at using Immarsat RBGAN, which is full speed broadband capable. And then using a radio link between the balloon platform and the rocket (900mhz or 2ghz), at 30km alt your over the horizon range would be incredible.

Worth investigating?.

Profile WWW
Moderator: Paul H. Dear