Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > SFS news: N-Prize Rule Update

SFS news: N-Prize Rule Update

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:49 pm
 [ 35 posts ] 
SFS news: N-Prize Rule Update 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 pm
What if they build a launcher capable of putting 1kg into orbit? Does the N-prize satellite have to be less than 19.99g, but any other satellites placed in orbit don't count, only the N-prize sat?

Ah, I see. A launcher capable of putting a sat weighing between 9.99-19.99g into orbit. Is that like how Energia is capable of putting a 1 tonne payload into Orbit, despite the fact that 1 tonne is way way way below its max amount?

Or does that break the spirit of the competition?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 pm
Sure have considered launching the N-Prize satellite from a larger satellite but.... This would overbudget the launch with fuel alone.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 pm
So launching a satellite perhaps weighing 1kg and launching the N-prize satellite out of it? Don't be so sure about the fuel costs. If we need 25kg of fuel/oxidiser mix for the rocket, then the cost would be most likely a max of £50. Cheap.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:48 am
Terraformer
Would you care to extrapalate a little further? As I see it the fuel required to get into orbit is over budget as it is hence the gas gun in our attempt. I dont see where smaller (than we plan to use) solid fuel rockets can achieve obital velocity there is the square cube limit.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm
Fuel is quite cheap (a liter of Petrol costs £0.89, and that's with all the tax), so unless you're using absurd mass ratios like 200 it wouldn't cost that much. If I do enter, I'll probably use a Hybrid rocket, with the Oxidiser being solid, and the fuel being Butane.

The Budget is a max of £999.99, so it should easily be within that. As it says, imaginative use of chewing gum is encouraged. While I wouldn't use chewing gum, cardboard poster tubes are quite solid, enough for a first stage. As long as the don't go Hypersonic through the lower atmosphere.

Moderator: Paul H. Dear