Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > Extention of the deadline

Extention of the deadline

Posted by: SA_Rocket_Guy - Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:18 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Extention of the deadline 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Extention of the deadline   Posted on: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:18 am
As you may know, the deadline for the N-Prize has been extended to the 19th of September 2012. Why?

I believed it was because nobody would manage it and to save face, the organizers opted to extend the deadline. It was also not obvious on the Official site why it was done. The timer was merely adjusted. (If I am wrong please correct me.)

Someone pointed me to the rules. In Particular Rule 22. It would seem that having the prize go unclaimed would put the organizers in bit of a bad spot. They don't have to reward any entrant with anything. It's in the rules. But, after all the effort some of the entrants went through it would seem somewhat unfair not to give them something. It may be felt that the entrant that came the closest, should get something for supporting the prize with their efforts.

What are your views on this?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Extention of the deadline   Posted on: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:31 am
I dont think Paul would have done it for any selfish reason.

He isnt being paid to do this and he isnt getting anything massive out of it as no sign up fees etc. I think he probably just wanted to extend the fun that a lot of people have had, would be a shame to have seen teams get so far then realise the prize had gone.

If anything it might just make teams continue a little longer and keep a little more interest in their goals.

Paul seems to always see this as fun and I know he has enjoyed it all and made some great friends, why not extend it it wont hurt anyone :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Extention of the deadline   Posted on: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 pm
Perhaps the organizers underestimated the power of red tape? I don't know, how far are people along?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Extention of the deadline   Posted on: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:02 pm
For me (Microlaunchers) it has been a problem trying to find ones interested in getting involved. Later the problem after that may be funds, but not yet.

Since the relocation to Las Vegas, things are starting to move. Some of the smaller non-rocket components may start soon, then with an industrial zone shop, rocket components.

Still looking for a few "one in ten thousand"--maybe one percent "get" and like the Microlaunchers premise, and maybe one percent of those might like it enough to join. Most do not agree with the premise. That's ok. This will be done not by those who disagree but by those who agree.

The extension of N Prize, and now the (hopefully) advent of the $2 million NASA Challenge might together make enough of an attraction for involvement.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Extention of the deadline   Posted on: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:23 am
Paul Dear (the N-Prize Organizer) explains his reasoning in his announcement at http://n-prize.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=355.

My summary of why is: (1) because it became clear some of the teams making progress were not going to make the original deadline; (2) the newer teams need more time to have a chance; (3) the extended deadline will not slow down the leading team(s) from completing the challenge earlier; and (4) not extending the deadline disincentivises teams to quit now (if they know they can't make the original deadline).

~Thom

Moderator: Paul H. Dear