Community > Forum > Official Cambridge University Spaceflight Forum > Project Mariah

Project Mariah

Posted by: Sigma - Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Project Mariah 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Project Mariah   Posted on: Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 pm
Stage 1- maglev sled launches ship at near mach 1

Stage 2-scramjet pushes ship to speeds where plasma is developed on heat shield.

Stage 3-accelerate plasma as propellant using high density power source or ground beamed power.

Could some one simulate this or make a small scale model?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Project Mariah   Posted on: Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm
Sigma wrote:

Could some one simulate this or make a small scale model?

Why not do this yourself there are plenty free 3D design programs like blender where you could draw up your concept and once that is done there are plenty of places on the net where you could have a 3D model printed out at range of scales if you can afford the price both in lots of forms of plastic or even some high grade metals or ceramics. And if you want a promotional item there are even places that will print in chocolate. :wink: :twisted:

Once you have a design and if you lable what you think the parts should be made of you may find people willing to help you will working out how to do a simulation.

Sorry i cant help but i have been working and still am working intermittently for over 5 years on mine and a friends concept for cheap entry to space via the n-prize and we are still not yet at the stage of making bangs loud enough to upset the neighbours. :wink: :twisted:

It takes a lot of time and effort to get from dream to functional hardware and i suspect i will have a lot more grey hairs before i see something fly if i ever do. Despite the possibility of losing as a result if the Brazilians do have a go in July i will be cheering them on as i really know how hard it is and anyone who succeeds deserves the prize and recognition.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Project Mariah   Posted on: Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am
For sure you can do a basic model of stage 1 using high school physics. What combinations of acceleration and track length would you need? How much kinetic energy would the vehicle have when it leaves the track? What can you find out about the efficiency of maglev trains, how much energy would it take in total? What is the largest vacuum chamber that currently exists, and how does it compare to your tunnel? What kind of power requirements would it take to pump out all the air?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Project Mariah   Posted on: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:03 am
I am not sure what shielding would be needed but I know they have come a long way. I know that Radio frequency can manipulate plasma as well as keep it from contacting the ship once this plasma threshold could be reached.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Project Mariah   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:49 am
https://plus.google.com/107989603310411267815/posts

:)

Many more details worked out

Carbon graphene multiple layer Mono-Cockpit super capacitative body coated in thermionic LED's that emits ambient heat as light, these are both the heat shield and the braking mech ...

http://phys.org/news/2012-03-efficiency.html

Now add in Armatures for acceleration and steering :)

Moderators: Ed Moore, Fergus Noble