Community > Forum > Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Forum > Success!

Success!

Posted by: SuperShuki - Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am
 [ 7 posts ] 
Success! 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Success!   Posted on: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am
Yeeeehaw! SpaceX to orbit! I called my brother but he wasn't interested. He's into the Dodgers, thinks space isn't important. But it's cool. 8)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 am
in the long term, the SpaceX success starts the END of ALL space agencies, since, NO one government agency of the world will be able to compete with private space companies on LOWER COSTS and FASTER development TIME
then, NASA may survive about 15-20 years from now if it will succeed in the ESAS plan or less than 10 years if the Orion/Ares-1 won't work (or will be delayed to 2018 or later) or LESS than 5 years if the VERY DANGEROUS and USELESS Hubble Servicing Mission 4 will FAIL, as explained here

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:34 am
I'm very excited! This is big news for the rocket world. It definitely wound up on my facebook status! (I'm such a geek, lol). I can't believe I didn't actually get to watch the live webcast, though. . . oh well, I've seen the video now.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:12 pm
Did they recover the first stage for reuse as their advertising blurb says they will?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:48 pm
Hi Andy,

Sigurd wrote:
culture wrote:
Does anybody know if Spacex managed to recover the first stage and if it is actually one of the objectives of the last flight?

I called into the press conference with Elon Musk and this question was brought up, the first stage was considered to be not recovered for this flight it was not an objective. However in the future they want to add re-usability. The current price tag of $8 million is without reusability in mind.

Other news is that the test firing of the rockets will only happen the first few launches and will not be necessary after some time.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:52 pm
Sorry missed that, brain obviously getting feeble and attention span slipping. :)

2 questions spring to mind.

Why use a mass simulator of 165kg when the Falcon 1 can loft payloads up to 420kg and if the first stage wasn't fitted with a recovery parachute then it could have had an even bigger payload (would not have had the weight of a parachute to include)?

Why not test out the recovery system as well as the rest of the rocket?

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:50 pm
gaetanomarano wrote:
in the long term, the SpaceX success starts the END of ALL space agencies, since, NO one government agency of the world will be able to compete with private space companies on LOWER COSTS and FASTER development TIME
then, NASA may survive about 15-20 years from now if it will succeed in the ESAS plan or less than 10 years if the Orion/Ares-1 won't work (or will be delayed to 2018 or later) or LESS than 5 years if the VERY DANGEROUS and USELESS Hubble Servicing Mission 4 will FAIL, as explained here

They will simply become more efficient. Most Private Space companies won't have 6 Billion dollars to blow on a new Space Telescope or Sun Probe. If they don't have to build launchers then they can focus on understanding Fusion and hypersonic travel.

Profile ICQ YIM