Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > I'm forming a team

I'm forming a team

Posted by: Rocket Scientist - Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 pm
 [ 25 posts ] 
I'm forming a team 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:06 am
Brilliant!Glad to see things are moving well for you now!
What else had this other team done? Had they formed a "company" or planned on doing so? If so what's the name :P ?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:19 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Brilliant!Glad to see things are moving well for you now!
What else had this other team done? Had they formed a "company" or planned on doing so? If so what's the name
:P ?

The propulsion team had just formed recently as well. When I met with them that was just the fourth time they had met. We have no plans to form a company. I know several other teams had formed companies specifically for the Google Lunar X Prize. I think for our team if we can get Loral sponsorship we have the advantage of having a full service aerospace company at our disposal. The engineering manager I spoke to said if I had considered asking Loral to fund this project as a regular project where we would be given a charge number and the lunar rover wuould be our full time work? I had not considered that possible option. I think we'll address that possibility when we meet with upper management. If that were to happen I think I'd be in 7th heaven! :D

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:26 pm
Hi Rocket Scientist,

I would be very interested in attaining a copy of your proposal, and in fact any of the documents that you use to make this team happen. It would be a truly valuable collection of papers, even if they are just random sketchings of notes ... perhaps you can inspire some kids out there to also form lunar lander teams in the future.

- Bryan

Profile YIM WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:59 am
kanzure wrote:
Hi Rocket Scientist,

I would be very interested in attaining a copy of your proposal, and in fact any of the documents that you use to make this team happen. It would be a truly valuable collection of papers, even if they are just random sketchings of notes ... perhaps you can inspire some kids out there to also form lunar lander teams in the future.

- Bryan

Bryan,

I'll see what I can do.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:57 pm
It looks like Odyssey Spacelines is back! Over at the Google X Prize forum someone posted a bunch "warnings" about Odyssey Moon infringing on the trademark rights of Odyssey Spacelines. :roll:

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 pm
They will enjoy their time with him, he'll probably submit again complaints to many agancies etc etc.. but I hope they will hit back hard ;)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:19 pm
Here's a quick update.

Our team is up to nine people now. We have been working on several conceptual designs. I've been looking at Mars Sojourner to see if it's feasible to design a stripped down lunar version rover. I like the Sojourner design because it's elegant and "simple". Plus the mass is right. I hope to start a business plan soon. I just finished taking an intense 3 week business course and am also enrolled in an entrepreneurship course as well. Our plan is to have a formal proposal ready in the early spring to present to Loral's upper management. Hopefully, we will be ready to wow them and they will sponsor us. My best hopes is that this will become a Loral project where this would be my job and not have to work on the rover in my spare time. I believe time is of the essence. With Red Whitaker declaring he will be on the Moon by July 2009 there is not much time to waste. :D

Last edited by Rocket Scientist on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm
Well done!
Sounds excellent progress, when that rover gets the go ahead we can officially start a forum up to monitor your progress. I wish you all the best! keep us updated!

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 pm
Hey mate, anything new to share? :)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:06 am
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Hey mate, anything new to share? :)

Actually, yes. I met with a program manager with 29 years experience at my company yesterday. We sat and talked for about an hour. He gave me some great advice and suggestions to expand my search for other teammates and form partnerships with other companies and universities. He gave me a dose of reality as well about the chances of my company's president supporting our team. He said he would help us anyway he can with the business aspects and with acquiring vendor supplied components as well. Next week I'll be meeting with the head of a local university's space systems deveopment laboratory to talk about partnering up. This university has done some great work on several space systems projects over the past 10 years or so. I'm also trying to contact an old friend that works for a leading space systems consulting company to ask her to join and to see if we can form a partnership with this consulting company as well. Astrobotic and Red Whittaker have set the pace for this competition and it's time to move our team and project to a faster pace. I hope the GLXP doesn't end up like the Ansari X Prize with Astrobotic winning and the rest of us still trying to build prototype hardware. :roll: