Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?

Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?

Posted by: chandrayaan - Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:41 am
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 7 posts ] 
Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable? 

Do you believe there exists at least one GLXP team with real chances of landing a rover on the Moon?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 18 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
I do not know 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Something else 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable? 
Author Message
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 pm
Posts: 36
Post Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:41 am
Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?

Do you believe there exists at least one GLXP team with real chances of landing a rover on the Moon?


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 843
Location: New York, NY
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm
yes - odyssey moon will do it.

why? they have enough money to. and bob richards has a stacked deck. and they have the technology.

there are a couple others that have a chance - Frednet (they have the technology and i believe they could get the money), maybe microspace (they have the technology but maybe not the money)...

_________________
Cornell 2010- Applied and Engineering Physics

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals


Back to top
Profile
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:23 pm
I am more interested in who here strongly thinks that it will be won.

Intrade (online prediction market) currently gives it a 25% chance of being won but there may not be enough trading volume for that to mean much. Interesting that the market gave it much higher odds last year.

http://www.intrade.com (Look in the Technologies category.)

If you have a strong opinion regarding the outcome of this prize, here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is.


Back to top
Profile
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
avatar
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 8
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:34 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
yes - odyssey moon will do it.

why? they have enough money to. and bob richards has a stacked deck. and they have the technology.

there are a couple others that have a chance - Frednet (they have the technology and i believe they could get the money), maybe microspace (they have the technology but maybe not the money)...

Why does Bob Richards have a stacked deck? He doesn't have one piece of hardware tested less than 30 months from the first deadline. They might have an idea on how to build the lander from the NASA common Spacecraft Bus tech, but that's hardly working hardware- and it's only 1 part of the equation. What about the heavy lift rocket? The Lunar Bus? The rover?

All these teams are relying on a rocket (Falcon 9) that has flown once in a skeleton configuration, to earth orbit. Not only that but no one can or will answer the question of SpaceX's launch manifest. It's jam packed until 2015. When will they find the time to build and fly all these Falcon 9's the GLXP teams need?

The only team within 10 years of reaching this goal- (let alone less than 30 months) is ARCA. They have hardware, and are actively testing. Everyone else is messing around with Rovers. A lot of people wasting a lot of money and time...


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 33
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:10 pm
WoG wrote:
Why does Bob Richards have a stacked deck?

Just FYI, Bob Richards has left his position as CEO of OM. http://robertdrichards.blogspot.com/201 ... ey_28.html

WoG wrote:
All these teams are relying on a rocket (Falcon 9) that has flown once in a skeleton configuration, to earth orbit. Not only that but no one can or will answer the question of SpaceX's launch manifest. It's jam packed until 2015. When will they find the time to build and fly all these Falcon 9's the GLXP teams need?

Next Giant Leap plans to use a Falcon 1e. The same vehicles that our team member, Sierra Nevada Corp., is purchasing to launch the 18 OG2 satellites they are building. We are very familar with the capabilities, timing and availability of the F-1e. Note also that the mature OG2 bus is the baseline for our lander, we're not reinventing the wheel here.

WoG wrote:
Everyone else is messing around with Rovers. A lot of people wasting a lot of money and time...

I should point out that NGL is NOT using a rover. Our lander will simply fly from location to location. http://twitpic.com/2kuynv

Video with more details on the mission:
http://player.vimeo.com/video/9659331

MikeJ
http://www.facebook.com/NextGiantLeap
http://www.nextgiantleap.com


Back to top
Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
avatar
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 8
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 pm
Michael Joyce wrote:
WoG wrote:
Why does Bob Richards have a stacked deck?

Just FYI, Bob Richards has left his position as CEO of OM. http://robertdrichards.blogspot.com/201 ... ey_28.html

WoG wrote:
All these teams are relying on a rocket (Falcon 9) that has flown once in a skeleton configuration, to earth orbit. Not only that but no one can or will answer the question of SpaceX's launch manifest. It's jam packed until 2015. When will they find the time to build and fly all these Falcon 9's the GLXP teams need?

Next Giant Leap plans to use a Falcon 1e. The same vehicles that our team member, Sierra Nevada Corp., is purchasing to launch the 18 OG2 satellites they are building. We are very familar with the capabilities, timing and availability of the F-1e. Note also that the mature OG2 bus is the baseline for our lander, we're not reinventing the wheel here.

WoG wrote:
Everyone else is messing around with Rovers. A lot of people wasting a lot of money and time...

I should point out that NGL is NOT using a rover. Our lander will simply fly from location to location. http://twitpic.com/2kuynv

Video with more details on the mission:
http://player.vimeo.com/video/9659331

MikeJ
http://www.facebook.com/NextGiantLeap
http://www.nextgiantleap.com


Mike - now THAT is being efficient and smart! Godspeed.


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
Post Re: Is Google Lunar X Prize winnable?   Posted on: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am
Michael Joyce wrote:
WoG wrote:
All these teams are relying on a rocket (Falcon 9) that has flown once in a skeleton configuration, to earth orbit. Not only that but no one can or will answer the question of SpaceX's launch manifest. It's jam packed until 2015. When will they find the time to build and fly all these Falcon 9's the GLXP teams need?

Next Giant Leap plans to use a Falcon 1e. The same vehicles that our team member, Sierra Nevada Corp., is purchasing to launch the 18 OG2 satellites they are building. We are very familar with the capabilities, timing and availability of the F-1e. Note also that the mature OG2 bus is the baseline for our lander, we're not reinventing the wheel here.

The Falcon 1e is out. It will not be built in reasonable time.


Back to top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 

Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


© 2014 The International Space Fellowship, developed by Gabitasoft Interactive. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use