Community > Forum > Official Masten Space Systems Forum > Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend

Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend

Posted by: TerraMrs - Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 am
Hi guys,

I have a friend with a perfect skill set for you who's looking for internships this summer. He is a rising Material Science senior at Cornell, with extensive machine shop experience. Additionally, he took this year off getting a welding certification (not sure which one). So basically, the perfect combination of engineering theory and practical skills that can be applied to a variety of aspects of rocket construction. He's just looking for something budget neutral (if it's an issue) so this could be very affordable for you. Anyways, if you're interested let me know who he should contact for a resume submission and discussion. I've been pitching private space to him as an industry so this is a good chance to snag another skilled young engineer into the movement.

Thanks,
Elliot Kulakow

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:49 am
Here is Masten's career page:
http://masten-space.com/about-careers2.html

The bottom of the page states how to apply.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:50 am
Doh yeah I should have looked there first, it seems like these skills are what you are looking for on the internship page. Well, I'll just link him to that page. I forgot that Masten is actually a legitimately successful company now and not just a group of rocket gurus playing around in an oversized garage...

Which speaking of, Monroe if you're reading this thread do you have an internship program yet? I can try to pitch Prometheus to some people if you do...

Or just generally anyone who's interested in a summer intern from Cornell (or Co-op for a fall/summer thing) I'd be very happy to try and hook you up with the right person... I tried to get some interest last spring but failed ultimately, so I'll start sooner this time around.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 pm
More information specific to internships:
http://masten-space.com/internships.html

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 am
Does Masten take High School graduate interns?
I'm graduating this spring and will be beginning an Electrical Engineering degree program at a university this fall.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Masten Internship - inquiry on behalf of a friend   Posted on: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:52 am
You'd have to have an impressive resume. We've taken everyone from freshmen to people who just finished their master's degrees.

To give you an idea of the competition, our spring interns were a guy who worked with another rocket company to instrument and test a lox/methane engine at Nasa, and a guy who rebuilt a car from scratch and was working on building a liquid fueled rocket from design up. For summer we had over 70 applications. For the two we went with, one won a major Nasa competition in high school, worked as a research assistant, engineer, and had a variety of skills; the other built large solid rockets with composite casings and was a project team leader.

So there's nothing that disqualifies a high school graduate, but everyone competes with each other. One of our biggest challenges this year was hiring people before SpaceX got them.

As MSS employees leave and are replaced, I'm sure the internship program will change as well. Watch for news.

Moderators: Ben, jongoff, mmealling, Ian Moore