Community > Forum > International Space Efforts > Faults, mistakes, failures etc. causing obstacles...

Faults, mistakes, failures etc. causing obstacles...

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
Faults, mistakes, failures etc. causing obstacles... 
Post Faults, mistakes, failures etc. causing obstacles...   Posted on: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am
An article under www.welt.de is mentioning today that the US do accept nothing but leadership in space. They are claiming to provide the space vehicles - which is causing problems to achieve needed international partners.

Such claims are injustified under the aspect that the lunar plans should be a success. There is no reason why others than the US couldn't do as successfull lunar flights as the US.

Of course they are ahead but the others can close in to their level within a few years if they want to. The Russians can as well as the Europeans, Chinese and Japanese.

Although I can understand the US under economic aspects as well as under a few political ones I can't agree because an international fleet of vehicles would increase the possibilities and opportunities and/or accelerate a lot.

The claim also will be one of the reasons why the Europeans don't develop an independant manned vehicle yet.

The fault of the US might destroy their lunar plans or even move it all over to the privates - SpaceX, t/Space, Scaled Composites/Richard Branson/Virgin Galactic, Micro Space, Armadillo Aerospace...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Faults, mistakes, failures etc. causing obstacles...   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 am
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
Such claims are unjustified under the aspect that the lunar plans should be a success. There is no reason why others than the US couldn't do as successful lunar flights as the US.
The claim also will be one of the reasons why the Europeans don't develop an independent manned vehicle yet.

The fault of the US might destroy their lunar plans or even move it all over to the privates - SpaceX, t/Space, Scaled Composites/Richard Branson/Virgin Galactic, Micro Space, Armadillo Aerospace...

I agree completely with both the above statements, and I think I know one reason why NASA may think that it needs to lead the way in regard space activities:

- First country to launch a satellite into orbit? Russia (Previously known as the Soviet Union).

- First country to launch a manned craft into orbit? Russia.

It's my belief that NASA is sick of being second, yes they made it to the moon first (manned mission that is), and now they have a chance to prove that they can make it back to the moon again first regardless of the risk and costs involved.

Another reason NASA may have this completely unjustified view of itself is because other countries either don't have the budgets and/or just plainly refuse to step up to the plate and develop their own manned space programs. For example, Australia does not even have its own Government controlled and funded space program and thus must rely on other countries such as Japan to launch satellites for them.

Profile WWW