Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > SFS News: Marshall Center's Steve Cook, 'Rocket Boy' Homer..

SFS News: Marshall Center's Steve Cook, 'Rocket Boy' Homer..

Posted by: Klaus Schmidt - Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
SFS News: Marshall Center's Steve Cook, 'Rocket Boy' Homer.. 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post SFS News: Marshall Center's Steve Cook, 'Rocket Boy' Homer..   Posted on: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 am
Left, Ares I artist concept. Right, successful launch of a 1:100 scale model of the Ares I crew launch vehicle. Image Credit: NASA/MSFC

HUNTSVILLE, Ala., (NASA) – Steve Cook, right, manager of the Ares Projects Office at the Marshall Center, and Homer Hickam, center, a former NASA engineer who is the author of the bestseller "Rocket Boys: A Memoir," successfully launch a 1:100 scale model of the Ares I crew launch vehicle on Jan. 15.

They are assisted by Vince Huegele, left, a Marshall test engineer in the Engineering Directorate. The model rocket, built by Estes-Cox Corp. in Penrose, Colo., well-known makers of educational model rocket kits, soared approximately 800 ft. before its descent.

The Ares I crew launch vehicle, designed to loft the Orion crew exploration vehicle to orbit, is a key component of NASA's Constellation Program, which will send humans to explore the moon by 2020 to set up a permanent lunar outpost. The Marshall Center manages the Ares Project for NASA's Constellation Program, based at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Feel free to discuss this article in this topic.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm
Good guys.