Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > Popular Mechanics Orion article

Popular Mechanics Orion article

Posted by: Rocket Scientist - Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:06 pm
 [ 21 posts ] 
Popular Mechanics Orion article 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:13 pm
I think that NASA needs to spend more money on COTS to accelerate the T-Space and SpaceDev vehicles. Signing space act agreements is all very well and a step in the right direction but metal needs to be bent and something produced.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:04 am
Andy Hill wrote:
I think that NASA needs to spend more money on COTS to accelerate the T-Space and SpaceDev vehicles. Signing space act agreements is all very well and a step in the right direction but metal needs to be bent and something produced.

I don't know about SpaceDev, but t/Space partners AirLaunch are building and testing the QuickReach (I) rocket for DARPA, while Scaled Composites are building White Knight 2 (and SpaceShipTwo ) for Virgin.

These projects are doing a lot of the development work, and the profits may provide the capital, for the CXV/QuickReach II/VLA in the t/Space COTS proposal.

Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:45 pm
Hello, Andy Hill,

I merely was seeing something like a portfolio in the mix - like cautious people buying assets at the stock exchanges spread their invetsment over a mix (or set) of companies and stocks to reduce their risk(s).

This might be behind NASA's mix at present. Since NASA as well as t/Space were kept tight lips completely like Burt Rutan until the Space Act Agreement was closed successfully it might be that t/Space already is talking to investors and even might have got a few already the funds go from aren't sufficient yet.

What might NASA do if one of the Ares-rockets or even all of them and the Orion-vehilce would have to be cancelled? The budget could be used then for more COTS-companies - might they do that?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
What might NASA do if one of the Ares-rockets or even all of them and the Orion-vehilce would have to be cancelled? The budget could be used then for more COTS-companies - might they do that?

I think NASA would still press on with Orion but possibly reduce its capabilities so that it would launch on an existing booster or more likely push the in service date out even further. I think that this is the last chance for NASA to produce an in-house vehicle, if they fail this time I can see them being relegated to being just an advisory body for human space flight.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:40 am
Andy Hill wrote:
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:

I think NASA would still press on with Orion but possibly reduce its capabilities so that it would launch on an existing booster or more likely push the in service date out even further. I think that this is the last chance for NASA to produce an in-house vehicle, if they fail this time I can see them being relegated to being just an advisory body for human space flight.

I think the time is ripe for the private sector to take over the space flight business.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri May 04, 2007 10:35 pm
On the Science Channel next week, new Space shows showing Ares V in flight (CGI)