Community > Forum > General Support > Supporting the "The C&T Calendar"

Supporting the "The C&T Calendar"

Posted by: Sigurd - Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:31 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 

Should the X PRIZE News Site Support "The C&T Calendar" ?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 11

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Supporting the "The C&T Calendar"   Posted on: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:31 pm
I'm planning to introduce a new Date and Time system to this website:

http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/ccct.calendar.html

(The old (current) Date & Time system will still be visible for some time)

Some benefits:
There are enormous economic advantages to the proposed calendar. These benefits come because the new calendar is identical every year... except that, every five or six years, there is a one-week long "Mini-Month," called "Newton," between June and July. "Newton Week" brings the calendar into sync with the seasonal change as the Earth circles the Sun. How much needless work do institutions, such as companies and colleges, put into arranging their calendars for every coming year? From 2006 on, they do it once ... and it is done forevermore.

Also:
- the C&T Calendar Fully Respects the Fourth Commandment of the Bible.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:14 am
Bad idea, you can't just make a quick fix to the calendar. Sure, maybe for internal use it could help, but i dont see whats wrong with the current calendar. If you really want a good calendar, you should make something more stable, without any fixes in any years, that would be an advantage. The Newton month gives the same effect imo.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Supporting the "The C&T Calendar"   Posted on: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:36 am
Sigurd wrote:
I'm planning to introduce a new Date and Time system to this website:

Gee I hope you don't. For most people this would be both meaningless, confusing and a reason to ignore date issues here altogether. Get the yanks to switch over to metric for everything, except beer of course, it would be easier.

DKH

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:40 am
Stefan wrote:
Bad idea, you can't just make a quick fix to the calendar. Sure, maybe for internal use it could help, but i dont see whats wrong with the current calendar. If you really want a good calendar, you should make something more stable, without any fixes in any years, that would be an advantage. The Newton month gives the same effect imo.

This calender is every year the same (all work done to customize the calendar each year at every company and department wouldn't be needed anymore).
The only diffrence is the Newton week, but that's because you can't create a year with 1/5 day extra to be always correct with the seasons.

This is very much easier to use, worth "billions" for economies etc etc...
People don't have to buy every year a new calendar... etc etc

The reasons "not" to change, are because many people hate changes... Didn't read anough about this system etc etc... I see the same comments over here.. I get related to space... why go into space ? we have all we need on earth :P

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:11 am
Sigurd wrote:
This calender is every year the same (all work done to customize the calendar each year at every company and department wouldn't be needed anymore).
The only diffrence is the Newton week, but that's because you can't create a year with 1/5 day extra to be always correct with the seasons.

This is very much easier to use, worth "billions" for economies etc etc...
People don't have to buy every year a new calendar... etc etc

The reasons "not" to change, are because many people hate changes... Didn't read anough about this system etc etc... I see the same comments over here.. I get related to space... why go into space ? we have all we need on earth :P

I disagree (and this will always be a personal opinion), introducing a shorter month doesnt benefit anyone imo. I don't care if there is change, i didnt hate the euro as many people here did or still do, but changing something which we use for a long time, should be thought over carefully, and not some patched up version of the current calender.

Some time ago, some people introudced internet time, if there should be a internet date system for it as well, it could be better then this version.

In short, a change in the calander should be good for the given reasons, but the proposed calendar is a poor substitute imo ;)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Generally a bad idea   Posted on: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 pm
This sounds like a generally bad idea. the year 2000 problem cost alot of money, this will cost even more in the short run. And for the long run, just think about how much of our economy depends on the December holiday season. If you mess with the calendar, you will have long lasting economic problems. In the really long term, it might help, but I don't really care about a minor boost in the economy 1000 years from now. Finally, you will never get everyone to agree on the new calendar and many people will become very angry (which may be fine with you for entertainment value, but not if you are serious about the world economy).

When we have people living permanently on different planets, then it will be appropriate to develop a new calendar (and this is an exciting prospect). Until then, it's not worth it.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:55 am
I was able to convince Stefan using Msn Messenger, but I think for most people the current calendar is good anough and the complexity to understand why a change will help a lot (also for the economy in 5+ years) is difficult to explain to everyone...
That's why I'll not change this site to the new calendar system... cause I think without a more positive public opinion.. it will not succeed ;)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:40 am
Good choice.

I think that for a new standard to be introduced, it needs to be recognizably different. In order to be of any use, it would need international acceptance and minimal confusion. If the calendar is only different in some small (yet bery significant ways) such as the addition of a Newton week or the changing of the lengths of some months, it seems as if huge ammounts of confusion could be generated - especially when crossing language and culture. A clearer system, then, would be noticably different whenever it is refered to (ie, new month names... etc)