Community > Forum > General Support > Turing test?

Turing test?

Posted by: Lourens - Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:15 pm
 [ 15 posts ] 
Turing test? 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:15 pm
I'm seeing quite a few recent posts that seem to consist of more or less randomly selected and arranged words. I think that if you're writing that there is something called a "motion vehicle" which can be amongst others a "space bike" or a "levitating egg" you might have a wee bit of a substance abuse problem...either that or you're trolling.

Can we have a discussion on how to deal with posts that fail the Turing Test? Or am I being too picky?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm
Well all of those posts (at least the ones that I noticed), have been by the same user anyway. I don't think that this is a widespread problem.

(but annoying nevertheless)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:52 pm
Well despite you both posting from countries where English is not the first language and doing so probably grammatically better than me being a native speaker i think some of the problems are that there are some who use translation software that is probably a still a bit beta but i think its good that the net can be used to share ideas across the language barrier even if it takes a little more thought to try and understand. Tho being a moderator on another forum i am paranoid enough to look for links to sites selling blue pills etc or promoting weird religious cults both in the post and the profile before i make the decision to reply or not. And being known as a bit of a paranoid conspirasist in some circles its nice to know that some of the trolls are on a flatter bit of the bell curve than i am. :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:14 pm
Well I have heard the claim about translation software before and I don't believe its true - if you are talking about "astronautdoc-1".
No translation software I know of would come up with errors like writing "side" when actually "site" was the proper word, etc.

I have tried to see some logic behind that user's posts, but I just can't. There are no questions, no new ideas (that I could decipher), no claims, nothing tangible! I think it is either some exotic kind of troll or a VERY strange kind of bot.

What worries me much more is the kind of trolls that keep showing up that claim they could do everything better, believe in and talk about ridiculous conspiracies, or who knows what crazy stuff they pull out of their sleeves next... :roll: :(

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 am
I have to agree with the turing-test bot. I asked myself the same question the first time I saw posts from that user...

Profile ICQ
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 am
I think we just need a "Care In The Community" thread for those posts.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 pm
i was thinking of alvarson in the Russian forum as a possible translation software problem astronautdoc-1 after another couple of looks may be self medicating with stuff past its sell by date unless he she or it is using an obscure starting language and really beta software i have seen no links in astronautdoc-1 posts or profile so its either the weirdest troll i have ever seen or they have serious problems. I often mix up words when i talk these days maybe its the typing equivalent.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:19 pm
For some reason those posts reminded me of dissociated press.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociated_press

Danbot was more fun.

johno

Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 am
Some users are the turing test.

We like to see who is actually reading OP's before replying to them.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm
I apologise for my English ;-). I could try and write in German or French and then machine-translate it back into English. Maybe that will help?

Here's what happens when I write that in German (third language, I can hold a conversation reasonably well, but I do make a lot of mistakes especially when writing) and Google Translate it back into English:
Quote:
Currently under construction for my English. I could try to write German or French and then to Maschinenübersetzen back to English. Perhaps the help?

That doesn't look too bad to me, although of course English is a Germanic language, so that should be one of the easier kinds of translations. And no, I have no idea whether "Maschinenübersetzen" is a proper German word :-).

I've also been looking for evidence of link farming spam with some of the new users, but like you I can't seem to find any. Perhaps the subject matter here just attracts weirdos?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 pm
I have removed lots of "astronautdoc-1" posts and banned him, as no one seems to be able to make sense out of his posts.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 am
Thread resurrection...

With regard to these sorts of post - the acid test should be...is the post trying to sell you something or redirect you to another site. These posts DONT, and don't really look like trolls (unlike DanF's). I'm defo. in the camp of somebody, maybe not that bright, writing in a second or third language, or perhaps using translation software on text that may not be particularly well phrased originally.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 am
Meh, it could be a transdimentional alien tuning in on Internet transmissions from far future for all I care, or emergent Seed AI plotting for singularity in some DAPRA lab. Stranger things have happened.

As for the Turing Test, it is a product of time when people thought that IQ tests actually measured intellegence. The fact that the majority of world's population would miserably fail the Turing Test is all that needs to be said about it.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:02 pm
"astronautdoc-1" has been again quite active recently, looks like you can register again with a name that has been banned?

I have come to think that this user has to be some form of very weird experimental SEO software: it posts all kinds of relevant keywords as a comment to news articles and does so in a way that (for a machine at least) looks like proper sentences -> Search engines like google therefore increase the pagerank of the site because they think it is more relevant.

What do you say to that, Sigurd? Confess! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: Turing test?   Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:57 pm
It's just a bot we made, just needs some fine tuning, we wondered "if 99% of the world population doesn't understand the content on the spacefellowship.com website, who cares if we make some bot who writes some random smart stuff that no one understands as well and all they will think, ohh well I'm not smart enough :p"

I'm blocking him from the forum each time, and he keeps returning. And keeps on spamming the news pages. He even writes to me in private messages etc, he's a real person, but I fear there is something wrong with him ;-)

Profile WWW