top of the page

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:33 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
top of the page 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post top of the page   Posted on: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:33 pm
hiya!
no complaints what so ever but i just thought it would be nice to use the blue title strip at the top to have more new photos of more teams? has 2 scaled pics armadillo n another couple then just dark blue all the way along, not complaining but it would be nice to have a pic of nova and perhaps some other teams? only an idea, as i said im not having a go, just thought it would be interesting!

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: top of the page   Posted on: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:49 pm
robiwan wrote:
hiya!
no complaints what so ever but i just thought it would be nice to use the blue title strip at the top to have more new photos of more teams? has 2 scaled pics armadillo n another couple then just dark blue all the way along, not complaining but it would be nice to have a pic of nova and perhaps some other teams? only an idea, as i said im not having a go, just thought it would be interesting!

Not possible; because:

1) Every computer screen is diffrent in size
2) If the top bar "main" picture is "more width" as the smallest screen size (we support minimum 800*600), those people will get a "horizontal scrollbar", making it extream difficult and annoying to view this website.
3) The blue repeating strip is a 1 pixel repeating bar as background, the picture already ended over there (see http://www.xprizenews.org/top.jpg )
4) A larger picture would result in more bandwidth and server usage of this website.
5) Site will load slower on people using a 56K modem.

I may ask Matt (who created the graphics of the design) in a few months to edit it, change some pictures and maybe try to make the fading diffrent so there can be 1 extra picture on it.

But as I noted in the previous topic more below on this forum, we're working over here to finish our game project, so our time is very limited.
When this game is done... when the parties who will be there after the game are a thing of the past... then I'll give this site a very nice facelift :)

Some people wondered before if this forum would be closed when the ANSARI X PRIZE came to an end.. and the answer is NO.. the business is evolving rapidly, and XPRIZE Space Race News will soon try to create in the future it's own "Identity" and less "X PRIZE".

Some features you may expect in 2005:
- A more advanced news system
Front page usage of more colours, easier to read, less chaotic.
- A jobs section so people know they can actually "join" those teams and even get paid, while enjoying beeing part of history (most people don't know, but many people are still needed at blue origin and many other companies)
- An updated Teams (renamed to companies) section of the site
- A page to help people "planning" to fly into space and provide them with a wizard to guide them what company and "service" is best for them.

- A new main X PRIZE Organization website is in development and they asked me to manage parts of it in the future (can't give more details at this time).
Some of our site features may also change to fit their new site. (As example, if they host a more advanced glossary, people can acces without too much problems, then we'll just link to it, instead of hosting our own).

With other words, my time is limited right now..but that's only temporary, the best has yet to come ;)

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:07 pm
A true nice idea could be something quite different.

But it would take much time to provide it I suppose - so the following ideas shouldn't be taken as aserious proposal:

1. A star time clock showing the actual star time - would be a conribute to Star Trek
2. The actual location of Mars in relation to Earth
3. The actual location of Titan/Saturn in relation to Earth
4. The actual location of the moon in relation to Earth.

These four things would be the right stuff to increase the feeling of space and space travel.

But it would require too much work by far to propose this in serious - and it would be only for fun.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:55 pm
hey man,
i realy like the ida of having somehting like that! try and increase the space feeling here, think that would go down well. Everybody lloves a gimic

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 am
Does anyone know a program correcly calculating and showing actual star time thatcan be easyly incorporated into a website without too much work?

Does anyone know such a program too that shows the actual positions of Mars, Titan/Saturn and the moon over the whole day and the whole year?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)