Community > Forum > Official JP Aerospace Forum > Competition in the High Altitude Airship field?

Competition in the High Altitude Airship field?

Posted by: JesseD - Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:58 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Competition in the High Altitude Airship field? 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Competition in the High Altitude Airship field?   Posted on: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:58 am
This is a question or two for JP that I've been mulling over for a few weeks.

As noted by different sources, such as Spaceref.com, South West Research Institute recently (Nov. 8th) flew a high altitude airship to ~75,000 feet. On the News section of the JPA website, JP said, "the gauntlet has been thrown down." This begs the question of which gauntlet is this? Is there some landmark or specific achievement JPA is trying to be the first at? what kind of competition does SWRI represent? I don't think they have any aspirations to ATO, and their system is, I think, much different than that of JPA, but I'm wondering, is there any competition/bragging rights/money/power/whatever at stake here?

Second, can you give us any details about "wind mitigation tier one"? or is it secret technology?

Thanks,
Jesse

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:02 pm
My two cents:

While you might think that a zero sum game only applies if two groups are competing for the same resources, the fact is that for IRL economics zero sum games only apply on paper. The folks at JP Aerospace are very correct to consider SWRI's accomplishment a challenge even if it is not (yet) a case of direct competition, because it has people looking back over JP Aerospace's prior claims and wondering why this wasn't JPA's accomplishment instead.

I have every confidence that they will rise to the occasion, but there is indeed an occasion to be risen to.

“The next generation of engineers, astronauts and scientist are not going to appear out of thin air. They need to be inspired and educated, and the best way to do that is to get them involved.” - John M. Powell

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:45 pm
I'm just glad people are talking about airships again. Time to cancell DDx and JSF and fund craft that are useful beyond the military.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:24 pm
http://www.collaborx.com/biz/smd/
http://www.liftport.com/forums/showthre ... 6#post2866

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:25 pm
Hello jpowell

I've just read your entry for the 24/7 on your website and find it amazing that someone would present JPA material and achievements as if it were their own.

http://www.jpaerospace.com/whatsnew.html

Surely the judges could have disqualified the indididuals concerned and awarded the prize to the runner up. Perhaps you should contact these people and ask what the hell they thought they were doing, I always understood that such images normally require that that you give a credit to the originator?

Profile WWW
Moderator: jpowell