Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Competition Heats Up.

Competition Heats Up.

Posted by: TJ - Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:21 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Competition Heats Up. 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Competition Heats Up.   Posted on: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:21 pm
I'm sure most here spotted this already but just in case:

http://thelaunchpad.xprize.org/2009/10/welcome-bon-nova-4th-northrop-grumman.html

Bon Nova made the deadline at the last minute and will be making attempts at both Level 1 and Level 2 on Oct 26-27.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Competition Heats Up.   Posted on: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:45 pm
Yeehaw! More Rocket vids! I hope that all competitors complete the LLC. That would be so awesome!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Competition Heats Up.   Posted on: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:45 pm
It'd be cool to see, but they've never flown anything. I can say from experience that going from never flown to level 1 in 6 months is really challenging; to do it in a couple of weeks seems impossible.

They have done engine tests at the site next to ours, and they were on my panel at Space Access, so I really do wish them luck.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Competition Heats Up.   Posted on: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:56 pm
Yes indeed. Hopefully the worst that can happen is some edifying crashes -- with no injuries except to inanimate hardware!

Good for them for trying, though their site doesn't give me much confidence. What looks like a video is a heavily edited slide show of their vehicle lifting off, heavily encumbered by tether chains... and how exactly did they do the attitude control with all the asymmetrical chain weighting??? You will seek in vain for details.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Competition Heats Up.   Posted on: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:48 pm
BonNova withdrew from the 2009 NGLLC attempt yesterday. Very little news on the specifics. This short statement was posted on their web site.

"BonNova regrets to announce that we will not be flying in the competition this year. Thanks to all following BonNova in the 2009 X-Prize NASA sponsored Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. "

http://www.bonnova.com/about.html

This story was confirmed on Alan Boyle's Cosmic Log too.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 08156.aspx

-Marco
(Dallas)