Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > How many years John

How many years John

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
How many years John 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:15 am
i see the successful LLC attempt has brought our friendly neighborhood troll out of hiding. i think i'll pass on this round, but come back later Dan and you might get a reply out of me :)

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 am
And who are you that I should care, Terramrs?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 am
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
have we lost sight of the real goal.

Armadillo's goal from DAY ONE has always been suborbital tourism. Do we want to follow that with orbit? Sure. But suborbital tourism is and always has been our goal. Your wishful insistence that it was something else is not going to change our plans (and your presumption that John hasn't considered the type of things you're talking about is rather amusing). Someone certainly is wasting Dan Frederiksen's time, but it isn't Armadillo.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 am
Matthew, you are not being very mature in handling suggestions. I am not the enemy.
And the old FAQ on the website does specifically mention orbital attempts and indeed with a small satellite although one without purpose. John has also spoken of orbit as subsequent steps in speeches.
It was not my impression that manned suborbital flights was being pursued in the last 5 years until rocket racing league suddenly decided to do it. is there a news item in the last 5 years speaking of going for manned flights prior to the rocket racing league deal?

And if it's so laughable to suggest that John has not yet really considered it, would it be possible to see those considerations? how heavy was the vehicle? what was the considered payload? how many stages and what fuel types. and has he considered an ultra light space telescope as the payload and the commercial opportunities of that?

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:43 am
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
If you think that suggesting you can do better is an attack then that is your failure.

You aren't suggesting that AA can do better. You are suggesting that AA should make its immediate, primary goal that of putting a rocket into "lean orbit," whatever that is. That sounds like something worthy of a rocket club--indeed, I know of rocket clubs that are close to achieving it. But, just because AA isn't attempting to launch orbit-bound rockets right now doesn't mean they are doing less-important things. You keep ignoring this when I point it out.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
AA has done well in many aspects and has great potential but I can't sugar coat the fact that AA is missing a great opportunity by not going for lean orbit.

I don't see how AA is missing any opportunities by pursuing its current course.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
For all the greatness John is, in this regard he is failing and I urge that the very least he makes some conscious thoughts about when orbit if ever will happen.

Why should we care?

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
As it stands now it looks very much like it's not even a conscious thought.

I would say you should get used to people not doing what you think they should be doing.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
That while it was a declared goal in the past it has never turned into a goal that you actively go for nor any firm plans in the future and I fully expect this space turism venture will tie your time for several years to come.

It's more fun when you spell it, "tourism."

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
One decade has passed now, if orbit is not even on the horizon then there is already a very unfortunate trend of never amounting to anything that really matters.

You have a very narrow view of what matters. I don't believe that getting AA into orbit matters as much as you do.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
I cannot sugar coat this either, it'll be a betrayal of mankind as a whole if you settle for bouncing turists. The combined loss for mankind by a delay of decades cannot be overemphasized.

Wow, that's a heavy cross for a company consisting of a half-dozen employees to bear!

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
So it is far from unreasonable of me to ask, indeed insist, that you at the very least become conscious of that fact that it's not heading for orbit.

That’s a hasty statement.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
If you want to play at rocketry, to have your little clubhouse, that's fine but at least have the mental presence to admit that it's hobby level rocketry and it will never amount to anything that actually matters.

I think that AA states its goals clearly enough:

“Our immediate goal is to win both levels of the Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. Following that, we hope to begin serious campaigning of our modular rocket system, which will work in conjunction with several contracts we have pending with various space-related agencies, and will bring us higher and faster than ever before. Eventually, we wish to provide a platform for civilian flights to suborbital space, and ultimately, we plan to reach orbit.”

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:44 am
It is interesting how dan's lack of support for AA has resulted in the whole rest of the community voicing their support for AA. Although he tries to pick flaws I feel I am actually reading more positive comments from everyone else. He's almost drumming up more support! Great stuff! Haha

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 am
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
ceebmoj, I have answered several questions about the car. go back and look. and as I said I will answer yours as well when you join me in asking AA to go for lean orbit asap.

AA can do what they want I have a lot of respect for them they have achieved so much so I will not ask them to do lean orbit. In fact the only thing I feel like asking them to do is update there web page a bit more so that I can see what they are up to.

All the questions you have answered about the car are about its efficiency you say nothing about the mechanical issues I have raised or others have raised. I am genuinely interested in your answers as I have built a couple of scratch I built cars my self and it looks like there is a lot you have not thought about. i.e. the car I drive a round trip to work of 80 miles weighs 380kg (wet half a tank of fuel) and it was a struggle to get it that light.

So why not answer some of the more interesting questions about your car

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post My Crazy Green Idea   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am
Hi Dan!

Lets go back a few days and watch you video on you tube again

"My Crazy Green Idea - Practical Nuclear Fusion"
http://www.youtube.com/user/DanFrederiksen

After a whole lot of crazy stuff you end with "If they wont do it, I will"

Now my question is, when will you stop telling people what to do and start doing things yourself because obviously we at the point "they wont do it"?

I'll just keep asking Dan :wink:

cheers,

c.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:18 pm
culture, and you'll continually be an idiot :)

ceebmoj, your negative attitude is rather clear so I'd be a fool to indulge you. do you have a webpage with your car? is it a trike? I'd guess the reason it weighs so relatively much is that it's made with car parts that are sized for the ton+ level. A typical set of car wheels weighs as much as my entire concept car.

Rob A. Goldsmith, that's foolish wishful thinking, the intensity of the activity you see is the size of the stupidity Einstein was talking about. The simple awful truth is that I'm very likely right and so few see it, even violently oppose it, joyously stupid.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 pm
Hi Dan!

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
culture, and you'll continually be an idiot :)

You are talking to me again! We're making progression Dan :wink:

So where do we go from here? We have to keep the momentum going and keep moving forward, tittle steps at a time. So, you think there might be a chance in discussing your plans right now and answer a few questions?

cheers,

c.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm
you're a troll culture, you just like the activity. if you wont think, I wont respond in kind.
you can join me in the Q&A thread in asking in a calm and sincere manner when AA will go for orbit.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 pm
Hi Dan!

Well, I don't see the need to ask Armadillo to go for orbit, it's not their business. Actually, right now, i think they would do a lousy job when attempting to do that, leave it up to other companies who are much better at that game, like space x.

John is a business man and not as filthy rich as Elon Musk. Armadillo is costing him a lot of money and he needs to earn that back in one way or the other otherwise it's over for AA. Shooting some sort of crap satellite in lean earth orbit will gain him nothing, bouncing fat people up and down will.

Although it is time consuming, it might be a wise idea to read all the post on their website and you might understand what AA is about and why they choose to go certain directions.

Dan, you first have learn to walk before you can run, and this is what armadillo is doing at the moment.

And one more thing Dan, I think you are one of those nut cases who thinks he can run but is not even close to walking, you have proven that over and over. More or less everyone here at the SF has challenged you to prove otherwise... but you just keep ignoring it and keep telling people... "your mindless"

cheers,

c.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 pm
culture, that's a lot of hissing but I suppose to be expected when just called out.

a small token of my ability: http://www.df-cad.dk/web/renderer/Rende ... import.jpg
I didn't make that in some 3d application, I programmed the software that did it from scratch. Not bad for a nutcase that can't even walk, wouldn't you say? :)

or perhaps you could tell me in your own words what diffraction limit means and how it pertains to a telescope?
since I am so obviously inferior to you that you can so harshly judge me, it should be easy to you.

or perhaps I'm the kind of nutcase that knows a lot and gets things right all the time

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:10 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
And the old FAQ on the website does specifically mention orbital attempts and indeed with a small satellite although one without purpose. John has also spoken of orbit as subsequent steps in speeches.

Yes, we very clearly have said we want to go to orbit eventually, but not before suborbital work, which has always included suborbital tourism as a revenue stream.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
It was not my impression that manned suborbital flights was being pursued in the last 5 years until rocket racing league suddenly decided to do it. is there a news item in the last 5 years speaking of going for manned flights prior to the rocket racing league deal?

Here's a render I did three years ago of the direction we were pursuing at the time - manned suborbital - and the update it was posted in:

http://media.armadilloaerospace.com/200 ... ehicle.jpg
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/A ... ews_id=323

And the so-called "fishbowl" design, which we pondered before the Rocket Racing League deal (once they came on board for suborbital stuff, they asked us to change the design to two-person, so you'll see that in renders associated with them):

Render: http://media.armadilloaerospace.com/200 ... ascent.jpg
News page: http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/A ... ews_id=356

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
would it be possible to see those considerations? how heavy was the vehicle? what was the considered payload? how many stages and what fuel types. and has he considered an ultra light space telescope as the payload and the commercial opportunities of that?

I don't have access to any notes to post, no, and I'd be worried about running afoul of ITAR anyway if the information was too detailed. But for anyone who's had the chance to pick John's brain for a while with regard to space it's quite clear there is no suborbital or orbital approach ever seriously proposed that he is not aware of and has considered. I know that's not going to satisfy you, and I'm sorry you are not able to pick his brain yourself, but he doesn't have the time to come here and debate. I mean, that's all it would be anyway - I thought we established pretty clearly last year that we're not going to change your mind and you're not going to change ours, so what's the point? He's too busy building things to bother with internet onanism.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 pm
Finally we are gong somewhere Dan!

I'm not a programmer, do know bits and pieces of it but it think we should move back a few post, lets say.. this post, a question from Sigurd:

Quote:
What are your programming skills, which languages etc ? Many on this forum are programmers as well. And how would you create that encoder ? I hope not using some standard libraries, that wouldn't be a challenge ;)

cheers,

c.

btw, you're shure you didn't youse one of the products in any way now

quote from somewhere:
Quote:
AliasStudio made the shape. it's often used by car designers
setup in 3ds max and vray rendered it.
...bladiebla I develop my own stuff

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next