Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > How many years John

How many years John

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
How many years John 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 am
James Bauer wrote:
SA_Rocket_Guy is correct.
I would also strenuously suggest against people making their own propellant, at least without investing time in getting some background in it. Go do some homework on the chemistry of it. Set up a proper workstation for it, and have proper safety equipment and knowledge to do it effectively and SAFELY.
Even sugar propellants have a SERIOUS HAZARD LEVEL when handled unsafely.

I used to fly rockets. Estes. Really cool. Especially when the parachute doesn't work and there isn't enough thrust and the rocket lands and sputters out in the middle of a group of kids. But it's very safe.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:13 am
supershuki, no, you've just never seen it before and you deal with it poorly. not sure what to do with it so you go with the first easy thing that come to mind, suggest I have mental problems..
God forbid you should start thinking.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:51 am
No, no, estes rockets really are safe, as far as the propellent goes. You can run over them, you can do all kinds of stuff to them, they will never explode, and rarely ignite. That's why they allow people to sell them to kids.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:58 am
As to a psychologist, it's really not meant to put you down. I think that your hypersensitivity, and your need to repeat to everybody that you're a genius, points to some emotional issues. It's ok to have emotional issues- we're only human, we all have imperfections. But we also have the ability to address those imperfections.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 am
Maybe I could win the N-prize using Estes engines? What do you think?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 am
SuperShuki, you mention the N-prize and Estes. Two topics close to my heart.

I miss Estes engines (motors). They don't export to South Africa anymore.

The smallest motors we make currently is 38mm H-class. All aluminium and reloadable. Per flight it costs the same as an Estes D-motor!

It a shame that kids in South Africa don't even know what Estes engines are.

As far as the N-Prize( or the Never-Prize as I call it) goes . . . I'll believe it only after it has been done and verified.

Many people tell me I am short-sighted etc because of my view of the N-prize. Even with a RLV the propellant costs would exceed the $1600 allowance. At least at our local prices.

I believe that many people think it is possible because the costs involved looks small. The truth is that the real cost is hidden until you start with actually building and testing hardware. If a LV costs $100 000 to develop and 1000s more to operate on each launch, what does it help if the propellant only costs $1600? The whole cost must be low for it to be realistic. The Space-port launch range in South Africa charge $25000 per day to use their facilities. So excluding it from the cost per flight is rediculous.

One team put on their website that they believe that only a third of the launch cost (about $500) is needed for the vehicle and propellant. Again, do it and I'll believe it.

Even sub-orbital flights cost many times what the prize allows. When you talk about orbit, the cost will sky-rocket!

My personal belief is that the N-Prize was created for publicity for the founder. If he truly believes that it is possible, is he going to attempt it? If not, why not? You should back anything you say with deeds! It's like telling someone to test the fire and not be willing to do it yourself.

I believe that a more realistic prize would be to put a specific goal out there and the team who does it for the least amount of money wins. Perhaps something like Dan suggested. A satelite that actually does something! What does the goal of putting a 19gram piece of space-junk in orbit actually accomplish? Why 9 orbits? Isn't the whole 9-thing an indiction of the true goal of the N-prize?

Perhaps I should start the ASR-Prize. The first team who puts a satelite in orbit and takes a photo of the moon wins 1st prize. The prize will be huge! All the publicity you can handle! Free marketing for your company! (and mine!)

The team who does it for the least amount of money will win the Grand Prize! The Grand Prize? Yes, it is better than the 1st Prize. This team will get the publicity and also instant contracts from Universities, schools and perhaps NASA, ESA, etc. With the global recession, Cheap Access To Space is going to sell like hot-cakes!

The ASR-Prize should be very enticing to all teams who signed up for the N-Prize. If you could do the N-prize, this should be a breeze since there is no limit on the cost except what you can afford. So even if it costs you $2000 per launch it's ok!

Do take my post with some salt (to taste)!

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm
Oh dear.

Looked at the Masten video on YouTube, and Dan has added a comment or two. It seems that it doesn't matter who he talks to, he always manages to be rude. I think he must have a deep seated inability to accept that there can be anyone in this world who knows better than he does. I think this comes across in all his posts here as well. It's a shame really, as I think he will find that he will get no-where in this life with his current attitude.

Dan, you may well say that "I have significant video experience as well as computer science understanding of the common compression algorithm.", but that doesn't mean you know any better than others who also have similar or greater levels of knowledge (yes, there ARE people who know more than you). For example, can you write a MPEG4 encoder? Or even explain in laymans terms how all the compression schemes in mp4 work?

Dan, see a psychologist. Before you have a breakdown when you find out the world is full of people better and cleverer than you. Failing that, just bugger off, because I for one am fed up with your self proclamation, your inability to put forward a coherent argument without resorting to insults, and your utterly unpleasant interpersonal skills.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:00 pm
what if I actually can write an MPEG4 encoder James? should I still see a psychologist about that? or is that ok with you.
and how are your interpersonal skills with regard to me? are you being nice?
at least one of us is wrong

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 pm
This all more and more reminds me of the sentence "Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." :mrgreen:

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:37 pm
Hey Dan,

What are your programming skills, which languages etc ? Many on this forum are programmers as well. And how would you create that encoder ? I hope not using some standard libraries, that wouldn't be a challenge ;)

I noticed you're 34, so you had plenty of time to do something useful with your life. As your car project is quite new, what are your previous projects that you have completed successfully? And your personal life, any luck there ?

And do you agree with the statement that a great leader has his/her own opinions, but says and acts to what's needed to steer the masses to achieve his/her goals? How do you explain that you're unable to lead others while being so smart? How do you explain that you can't explain things to people who're in your mind way less advanced than you so they would support you? Isn't that part of being smart, being able to communicate? Look at Einstein, he wrote a lot and communicated a lot... how about you ?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:30 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
James, is it possible that you confuse your employment in a company with the combined knowledge of that company?

No.
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
that you as a welder might not understand the physics and engineering as well as someone like me, just because you work for a rocketry outfit.

I am what I am, and have many formed opinions. My grasp of physics and engineering are likely not as great as yours in many areas( I found physics/engineering to be less interesting when I found my true direction) but I match it with actual experience in fabrication. Who I work for is insignificant to this.
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
EDIT: I see you deleted your snide comment? perhaps you do see.

An individuals perception is simply individual.
I try to see many opinions, yours and others. My feelings are part of this, and at times I find it difficult not to join in and push people into the correct way of thinking. I am hurt when people insult me and others here, and I prefer to see a more positive direction in this forum. So I deleted the snide comment because it does not help here. You have demonstrated your intelligence. I simply wish you could help people here instead of degrading them.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:55 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
the first payload should be a space telescope, one that could look both up and down. services could be sold to both geo companies and space telescope time for universities. I want to see it flow over area51 with live HD video streaming down and see vehicles on the runway in 1meter resolution or better. a space mirror can weigh very little so what I propose is more than possible within 10kg. secondary IR and thermal camera perhaps. next I would launch a phased array radar satellite to watch the skies. again something that lends itself to low weight. to see what's coming and what's going. all the illicit vehicles and perhaps a few foreigners. to have eyes to see what's actually going on and not have to rely on the liars to be informed. because.. well... they lie.
I want those satellites to watch the other satellites. to take pictures of them, to watch them. maybe catch a few of those satellites that are not listed.
on top of that it could do some fluff beauty shots like track the shuttle or whatever rocket nasa and others launch. all of this is possible within 10kg.
then I would build a slightly larger vehicle that could lift a 10kg payload to mars. and an orbiter to the moon. maybe go for the lunar prize if it can be done quickly and for less than the prize so it doesn't just serve as a distraction and waste of life.
I imagine that a cleverly built 10kg vehicle to mars would be able to land a small rover on mars and do more than nasa did with the MERs.
some of it could probably be commercially selfsustaining but even the smallest real space succes could probably wrestle funding up from various space agencies. maybe ESA or Japan. maybe even Nasa since the stupidity is not monolithic.
I imagine someone like google might also develop an urge to throw millions their way.

as for the space telescope development, I'm sure several universities would be interested in fabricating a few funky light weight mirrors and attaching a camera sensor and some telemetry electronics. like everyone else they are starved by nasa so they should be pretty hungry for a chance to do something actually cool.

if done smart you can outperform nasa in many ways within what John can comfortably pay for by himself. nasa stupidity is that great. it could even be quite profitable. heck Elon Musk, although with no particular aim it seems, has become grossly profitable building huge rockets. They throw billions his way now.

sigh. wake up John. sigh

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Can you please share the address of your website with the rest of us so we may follow your progress. How many years do you estimate it will take before you have your first launch? Your telescope plan is brilliant. I would love to see the pictures of the foreign vehicles. Do you think there might even be aliens out there. That would be very exciting.
I recently built a Mars rover from a lego mindstorms kit, and I have a very light solar panel that I salvaged from a broken calculator. When I get a radio link working for it I would like to send it to Mars, or maybe just the Moon. It should only weigh about 2.5 kg, maybe 3kg if I have to add a camera. How much do you think it would cost? Maybe if I stuck a goggle logo onto the rover they might pay for it because I'm broke.

thanks,

johno

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:02 pm
Matt wrote:
This all more and more reminds me of the sentence "Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." :mrgreen:

Exactly, don't feed the trolls!

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
ceebmoj, I've talked a lot about my car concept in this thread

No you have not you have shown us some renderings that look nice but are very short of technical details and when any body asks you a question you ignore the question.

so I ask again

ceebmoj wrote:
I would be interested to hear a reply to some of the question I raised before in the thread. Or you could talk about your motor control strategy as you can mimic a differential that has completely variable open to closed arangment. This could actually be interesting as the traction control / stability / regenerative breaking would make this an interesting part of a design.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 am
ceebmoj, I have answered several questions about the car. go back and look. and as I said I will answer yours as well when you join me in asking AA to go for lean orbit asap.

James Bauer, I am helping, the truth is just not welcomed by most here and indeed met with mindless hostility by many. If you think that suggesting you can do better is an attack then that is your failure. I endevour to be extremely just and kind to those who deserve it and only harsh with those who are violently mindless and attack me.
AA has done well in many aspects and has great potential but I can't sugar coat the fact that AA is missing a great opportunity by not going for lean orbit. For all the greatness John is, in this regard he is failing and I urge that the very least he makes some conscious thoughts about when orbit if ever will happen. As it stands now it looks very much like it's not even a conscious thought. That while it was a declared goal in the past it has never turned into a goal that you actively go for nor any firm plans in the future and I fully expect this space turism venture will tie your time for several years to come. One decade has passed now, if orbit is not even on the horizon then there is already a very unfortunate trend of never amounting to anything that really matters. I cannot sugar coat this either, it'll be a betrayal of mankind as a whole if you settle for bouncing turists. The combined loss for mankind by a delay of decades cannot be overemphasized. So it is far from unreasonable of me to ask, indeed insist, that you at the very least become conscious of that fact that it's not heading for orbit. That in a decade you have failed to even do serious design for lean orbital flights, to even consider it. That if you haven't even thought about actually trying then it is likely to never happen.
If you want to play at rocketry, to have your little clubhouse, that's fine but at least have the mental presence to admit that it's hobby level rocketry and it will never amount to anything that actually matters. AA was started with the stated reason that Nasa was too slow, with the arrogance to think that it could be outdone with a tiny fraction of nasa money, yet over the years that ambition has been forgotten and effectively you have capitulated and you don't even realize it.
AA could be so great in such short time with so relatively little money and I hate that you too fall short and go into the same life consuming slow death of mankind. We have very finite time here.

So please, have the spirit to ask John when will we go for orbit? is it true that it can be done cheaply if the payload is very light? if he dismisses it easily, ask him again, then when? if it's not on the horizon, what are we doing here? have we lost sight of the real goal.
and don't ask him like a weak employee, ask him as a peer, make him think. calmly but firmly.
all it takes is a few good men and you can actually change the course of history. John has the skill and the money to do it but he is waiting.

lean orbit is easy for John. he might well be able to pull off the moon missions. come on James

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next