Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > How many years John

How many years John

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
How many years John 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 pm
idiom wrote:
The only people he could sell the images to are the DoD. John could not do what you are talking about without renouncing his Citizenship and leaving America forever. You are asking him to go into voluntary exile from his homeland so you can wet your pants over some photos?

Dan, idiom really has a point. How fair is it that everyone has to concede to you that they are wrong, however you act to be always right, while you're not. Are you willing to share with us that this is indeed a mistake or will you just keep saying this is what John should do ?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John.   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 pm
Hi Dan!

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
you want to question my understand of engineering difficulty..

Yes, i do :!:

Quote:
I've built a 2 liter solid propellant rocket

Cool stuff, glad you survived otherwise we wouldn't have this interesting discussion going on, although i think this is going a bit a one way direction in my case :(

And what the heck, i can always ask you Dan; you must have some cool pics en videos... show us!

cheer,

c.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 pm
I have to give it to you Dan, every time you come up with one of those nut case remarks i have to do some googling and always come up with interesting stuff

+1 for Dan :wink:

So this time i googled diy rocket propellent and came across this site/video. Don't know if this is the right topic to post this because a few people who will enjoy it might miss it. I think we should start a topic with cool DIY rocket engines, what do you think Dan???

Check this, few nut cases doing some Rocket testing in their basement, and no nothing goes wrong (you guys hanging around here too btw??). I wish i had a basement like that although i think i would have done these experiments outdoor! Especially the second video is well worth to watch.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/04/16/hom ... otor-test/

cheers,

c.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
Rob, just maybe there would be customers for a satellite with 20cm resolution. both up and down.

I think that John Carmack is focusing on rocket engines as the basis of his business model, not satellites or even launch services. I could be wrong on that, but, in any event, I haven't seen AA do anything to indicate that they hope to base their business model on satellites with 20 cm resolution.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
ceebmoj, if you will join me in asking AA to go for lean orbit, I'll talk to you more about the car concept

AA can do what they want they could all go home tomorrow and it would not belittle there achievement. I would be disappointed but lots of usefully things would still have be learnt.

Dan you have pointed us at your project, yet are unwilling to disuse it. are you concerned about review? why don't you wish to talk about the many points I or others have raised?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm
To our resident genius.

Someone recently told me that "a genius is defined by the results of his/her life's work".

If you want to judge someone's "life's work", look at the results. Compare it to your own results.

"You have been weighed on the scales and found to be wanting"

May this never be said of you.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:41 pm
ceebmoj, I've talked a lot about my car concept in this thread

culture, google Richard Nakka or sugar propellant. sugar and fertilizer basically. it's quite easy to work with and works quite well. it's easy to get (except perhaps now because of all the homeland 'security' fascist morons) just a pure kind of fertilizer and then dextrose (fruit) sugar. mix up 60/40 and then heat to about 170 degrees so it melts, then pour into mold. you can also use normal sugar but it's harder to keep from caramelizing (turn brown and useless) it's quite robust and hard to ignite so should be quite safe. of course one has to be able to think to know what one is doing but otherwise should be quite safe. not toxic too. you could probably eat the fuel.

I forget what Isp you can get out of it but Nakka's site probably says that. quick google seems ti indicate about Isp 140 is possible. might actually be possible to go to orbit with such a system although a bit hard to do fine maneuvering with a solid booster. maybe a small final stage with a hybrid propellant. nox/polymer? keep it simpel

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 pm
Hi there

DAN

I've read a few of your posts ...

If you have a car that is so efficient why dont you post results and not estamates

I have huge respect for AA, they have achieved alot since they started show me anyone that can do what AA did with out spending that much cash .....

For instance you want to build a car that is super efficient and enviromentally friendly ...Right

Then you got to risk it to get the biscuit go out there and look for sponsor\investors\partners ect.

Why dont i bad mouth your work .....well first off that not my field of expertise ...same with you and AA you can give them hell cause you're not happy about how they do things

John Carmack is in my opinion a genius
You on the other hand is just another reckless imbasill seeking some attention and motivation

so im telling you now go4it ...build your car even it takes you a hundred year at least try to accomplish that goal

Donovan
Aerospace Research :mrgreen:

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 pm
DAN

sugar propellant is far from hard to ignite

Sugar ignites with a siggarette ember you moron

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:23 pm
amazing

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 pm
Hi Dan,

just to clarify and not to judge you. Fruit sugar is known as Fructose. Many farming communities will know fertilizer to be Ammomiun Nitrate. Richard Nakka has done work with AN but the sugar propellant is actually made with Potassium Nitrate (KNO3). KNO3 is actually a fertilizer as well but it's important to distinguish.

There is a big issue in most countries with making any propellant at home. In countries like the UK, Australia, NZ, South Africa, etc it is illegal to make any propellant if not in a certified explosives workplace. This seems very unfair to most people but it is really for their own safety and others around them.

Making even a simple propellant like the sugar/KNO3-type has proven to be dangerous in a uncontrolled environment like a kitchen. In a proper explosives workplace there are things like firewalls, emergency release doors, etc to protect you from an accident. How many kitchens have emergency door releases and extractor fans powerful enough to clear a room full of smoke in seconds?

For those who will do it anyway, my advice is simple: Keep it small. If something goes wrong, it is something small. Don't underestimate the power of propellants. I know too many people with fingers, hands, legs, eyes, lives, lost due to "having harmless fun".

In case you were curious - I am the explosives manager for my company that manufactures solid rocket propellant. Being the owner also makes me the chief devolper of our products. Our clients range from Hobbyists to Government Defence Contractors. Our public websites are at http://www.rocketry.co.za and http://www.aerospace-research.co.za.

I know what it is like to make propellant in the kitchen - That is where I started and by the Grace of God still have all my extremities.

Cheers!

Johann - The Rocket guy!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 am
Hi, Johann!

My college chemistry lab instructor once told us that if we intended to break the law using chemistry, choose drugs; it's much safer than explosives.

While we are on the topic of explosives, my 9th Grade Arizona History teacher was also the inventor of "coalamite," back when he worked for Phelps Dodge. Coalamite is based on diesel fuel and coal.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 am
SA_Rocket_Guy is correct.
I would also strenuously suggest against people making their own propellant, at least without investing time in getting some background in it. Go do some homework on the chemistry of it. Set up a proper workstation for it, and have proper safety equipment and knowledge to do it effectively and SAFELY.
Even sugar propellants have a SERIOUS HAZARD LEVEL when handled unsafely.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 am
James, is it possible that you confuse your employment in a company with the combined knowledge of that company? that you as a welder might not understand the physics and engineering as well as someone like me, just because you work for a rocketry outfit.

EDIT: I see you deleted your snide comment? perhaps you do see.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:53 am
Is anybody here a psychoanalyst? That's not derogatory, Dan, I go to a shrink myself. But I think that you have some issues that you have to work out.

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next