Community > Forum > General Corporate > SFS News: Rocketplane Global Talks to the Space Fellows

SFS News: Rocketplane Global Talks to the Space Fellows

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:20 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
SFS News: Rocketplane Global Talks to the Space Fellows 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post SFS News: Rocketplane Global Talks to the Space Fellows   Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:20 pm
Introduction

During the last week, some of the Rocketplane Global team got together in a conference with the International Space Fellowship to talk about their recent progress and changes to the Rocketplane XP design. Having recently revealed that they have been working on the new design George French III (Business Development Associate) and David G. Faulkner (Program Manager) were more than forthcoming to discuss the future of Rocketplane Global and their matured XP configuration.

We discussed some of the changes and the reasons for the new improvements. They told me that with the mature XP configuration there were significant changes to the look and feel of the craft. A Craft that they quote as being “sexyâ€

Last edited by Rob Goldsmith on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:00 pm
I guess the older I get the more pessimistic I get. We now several winged "suborbital" spacecraft supposedly coming on the market. Whatever this "market" is does it need all these spaceplanes? We have:

Spaceship II
Pioneer XP
Benson Dream Chaser
Canadian Arrow
Explorer (Space Adventures and the Russians)

That's five suborbital spaceplanes. And I haven't mentioned Blue Origin, Armadillo Aerospace, and Masten Space Systems.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:21 pm
You forgot the EADS craft. Besides that I'm not sure if Canadian Arrow is still "alive"?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:25 pm
Klaus Schmidt wrote:
You forgot the EADS craft. Besides that I'm not sure if Canadian Arrow is still "alive"?

Are you referring to this spacecraft?

http://www.astrium.eads.net/static/spac ... ochure.pdf

So now that's six spaceplanes at least being worked on.

What have you heard about the Canadian Arrow project? Has it ceased operations?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:55 pm
That's the point..I've heard nothing from them since the X Prize ;)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:48 pm
Klaus Schmidt wrote:
That's the point..I've heard nothing from them since the X Prize ;)

I did some searching. I went to the Canadian Arrow website. There has been no new news in quite some time. So I checked Wikipedia.

Quote:
Geoff Sheerin, President and CEO of Canadian Arrow, and Dr. Chirinjeev Kathuria announced on May 17, 2005, the creation of PlanetSpace Corporation. It is through this enterprise that Canadian Arrow will complete the construction of their space craft, and within 24 months offer suborbital space flight to aspiring space tourists. Planetspace expects to fly about 2,000 new astronauts within five years of operation. The price is expected to be $250,000 for each flight, including fourteen days of training. Cape Breton Island, in Nova Scotia is being considered as a launch site, and a contract has been signed with the government of Nova Scotia to provide 120 acres of land for the project.

According to the PlanetSpace website they are in fact continuing to develop the Canadian Arrow. I didn't realize that the Arrow is based on the V-2 rocket. How cool is that?! They are also working on an orbital space system that involves a lifting body spacecraft call the Silver Dart as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Dar ... cecraft%29

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:50 pm
My calender must be broken. It seems to indicate that a date "24 months" after "May 17, 2005" occurred more than 5 months ago.

Nobody told me the Canadians were already flying passengers into space!

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:48 pm
I wonder if a 727 could be outfitted in a similar way, so its vomit comet profile and free fall zero-g period could be prolonged....

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 am
Why stop there, it seems a fairly logical step really. Taking old technology and modding it to go higher. Suprising how little companies have done this really.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:03 am
Since the new Rocketplane design is an all new vehicle and no longer a modified business jet, it is moot. Maybe someone else could modify a 727, but they would be on their own, not copying Rocketplane on a bigger scale.

Profile WWW