Community > Forum > General Corporate > SpaceShot credibility

SpaceShot credibility

Posted by: dinkin - Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:53 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
SpaceShot credibility 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post SpaceShot credibility   Posted on: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:53 pm
My name is Sam Dinkin. I am an auction expert. I have assisted bidders and governments to do spectrum auctions, oil and gas auctions and electric energy and capacity auctions totalling $120 billion. My services go for $450/hour. Sometimes less when it's fun. I am insightful. I have lots of patents pending.

My hobby is spaceflight. I wanted to start a spaceflight business. As Esther Dyson says, it's a "toy company" right now. It is not breaking even. That's OK. My wife works too so I can spend money on a company. I can do a new spaceshot version every year indefinitely until I get it right and my wife is OK with that.

I am looking over the surveys for SpaceShot and one says that they would play more if "I know more about Spaceshot, inc." It's a Texas S corp. That means every $1 I invest in SpaceShot allows me to spend $1.50 as long as SpaceShot loses money, because I can deduct it on my taxes.

The player did not think the economics made sense "What I know now is that the prize is valued at $350k, tickets are $3.5 each, and 136,000 tickets are required for an individual to reach level 17. This results in less than 33% of each ticket price going to cover operational expenses and profits. Unless you are getting a steep discount from RocketPlane - or unless you plan on selling advertisement space on your website, I don't see this as being a viable business venture."

It's 131,000. A million advertisements would only alter the economics a little. At $4.5/thousand (what Time Warner makes), we would get an extra $4500 out of $393216 in entries in they are all bought at 6 for $18, so only 25% goes for gross profit. Nope.

Steep discount from Rocketplane, nope. We do get a discount, but it doesn't kick in until we get volume. Even then, it's not enough to substantially alter the economics.

But we are viable. $100,000 is enough to buy servers, buy maintenance, buy customer service, buy patents and trademarks, advertise on a small scale, and even pay off a portion of the development cost. We don't have a building (we run it out of my basement). We don't have any benefits (all contractors). We don't have anyone full time. We are a hollowed out company with no infrastructure, no employees except me and no overhead. Our costs are servers, credit card processing, and one referee (me). We need marketing and advertising, but if that is effective, it will pay for itself. We do not need investor relations yet. We need developers, but we can afford those without incurring any debt that is not co-signed by creditworthy entities and from outsiders.

In short, SpaceShot is a great counterparty. We have a credit card processor, a spaceflight partner with a $207 million NASA award, we have servers leased from Dell, hosting leased from Rackspace.com, accountants galore, trade credit from Wilson Sonsini, one of the authors of Internet Gaming Law as gaming lawyer, a top-notch management team working for equity and an advisory board that suggests IPO. We have MOUs and good rapport with very conservative companies and the space media. Count on us.

"I realize I don't have all the information - I am just giving you my impressions and not a business assessment. ;-) ... I won't be investing much more than a couple hundred 'for fun' without knowing more."

Ask more questions about SpaceShot, Inc. and Space Shot America Latina Inc. that we're founding this month here.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:47 am
Let me just add that if I had the money, time, and know-how I would be doing exactly what Sam is. It is my feeling that Sam is on to something just before the market starts to realize the potential of sending regular people into space for fairly reasonable prices. Once the (I don't know how many anymore) handful of companies and very, very succesful businesspeople working on them (Branston, Beezos, etc. etc.) start flying paying customers into space, and believe they will, this type of venture is going to take off. Once people start seeing lower upper class and upper middle class space tourists coming back to terra firma with a sh*t eating grin on their faces everyone will want some and will look for the means to get there. Sam is offering an intelligent, affordable *chance* to do so... perhaps just 12-18 months ahead of the market.

Have $3.50 worth of faith and play on!

crux

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Chance vs. shot   Posted on: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:40 pm
Archery, shooting and darts are predmoninantly skill as is tennis. A tennis shot can win a tennis match. We've got a skill game where you can take a shot and win a space shot.

Our survey got as many people saying that our game required too much skill as people saying it was not enough. I bought Nicolas Cage's The Weatherman to try to get a feel for people's disrespect for the weather. Is weather prediction a job or a game? It can be a game. Try to find ratings that show one weather prediction is better than another and it will be difficult.

Someone of modest skill ought to be competitive. Our leading player was off by four and five degrees in two predictions this week.

It is more fun and a real world event in a real world location to anticipate and watch the weather develop. Or if you prefer, tune in later to find out what happened. Millions of people wait for lottery draws that there is very little skill to predicting (just don't pick a date so you won't have to share as often) and there is very little suspense about the outcome. So give it a try and you may be one of the first thousand people in space. You can also ride on the US's biggest public roller coaster.

Profile WWW