Community > Forum > General Corporate > Harris Reflector, failed deployment, insurance shenanigans

Harris Reflector, failed deployment, insurance shenanigans

Posted by: TerraMrs - Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:38 pm
 [ 1 post ] 
Harris Reflector, failed deployment, insurance shenanigans 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Harris Reflector, failed deployment, insurance shenanigans   Posted on: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:38 pm
Just some office scuttlebutt for you guys:

I never saw an article on it so I presume this is a fairly insider event but a recently launched satellite built by the Europeans had its unfurlable reflector fail on orbit. The reflector, built by Harris, happened to be very similar to the ones on Sirius FM5 and TerreStar. As soon as this happened, the insurance companies pulled insurance on both of those satellites. Shenanigans ensued and eventually they managed to get insurance on everything except a repeat of the same, unidentified, failure as happened on the European satellite. These events unfold as launch preparations are beginning: TerreStar went so far as to fuel before the insurance stuff got figured out. Finally, a couple days before they are launched I hear the insurance companies are now offering full coverage on both satellites, convinced that the reflector failure will not be repeated. This story sounds like just some normal panic mode bs except that as far as I'm aware no one except Harris and the Europeans ever actually got to find out what the failure was due to some strange and obfuscating business practices.

This is what's wrong with OldSpace. We must maintain the transparency and honest practices that NewSpace has upheld thus far, or we will be doomed to the same fate of ultraconservative design strategies and bloated budgets.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals