Community > Forum > All other competitions > Is T-Space still in existance

Is T-Space still in existance

Posted by: Andy Hill - Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:05 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Is T-Space still in existance 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Is T-Space still in existance   Posted on: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:05 pm
Thought I'd have a look on T-Spaces website to see if there was anything new there but either the site is down or its no longer in existance.

I know that it was more a group of existing companies that agreed to work together rather than a separate entity. I guess that most of the participants have found other things to do like Scaled and are not involved with it anymore.

Anyone know what the situation is?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm
As far as I'm aware once they lost out on the contract for the CEV module to take people to space they broke up. I still have an awesome t/space poster though unfortunately it's damaged. They were one of the groups I had the most hope for it's quite tragic that NASA didn't give them at least a little bit.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:04 pm
A consortium as well as a companie exists as long as the contract about the consortium or the company is valid.

So if the partners forming t/Space haven't cancelled their contract(s) t/Space still exists.

They much much earlier üublicly said that they will try to get private investors if they can't get NASA-contracts and that solely and simply will take much more time to gt the funds - may be they talked about 14 years.

The in the beginning most essential and crucial of the partners is Air Launch LLC - because they deveop the booster. The most recent news of them is from August 13th of 2008. Since then nothing was to be heard.

That might mean that they have done something that is completely secret because of the Air Force and DARPA. It might have to with Scaled's/Rutan's secrecy principle as well.

If the contract had been canceled this would have been reported - if Air Lasunch had become a victim of the Financial Markets Crisis this would have been reported as well.

Something is mysterious but the consortium can't but be assumed to sti exist.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:02 pm
Quote:
A consortium as well as a companie exists as long as the contract about the consortium or the company is valid.

So if the partners forming t/Space haven't cancelled their contract(s) t/Space still exists.

A consortium is formed for a specific contract or contract(s). Between the consortium partners are the teaming/partnership agreements. These agreements are usually only valid for the duration which the consortium is bidding for the contract. If the contract was awarded to the consortium, the teaming/partnership agreements will be negotiated into legally binding contracts.

If the contract was not awarded to the consortium, there is no reason for the partners to stay together. Their teaming/partner agreements are usually not legally binding in the contractual sense ie it is more like a MOU.

Phew, the legal mumbo jumbo out of the way.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
So it would seem that T-Space is now defunct as they were unable to win a contract for COTS and the partners have now disbanded, pity. This is borne out by their lack of web presence.

That's not to say that in the future they might not reform to bid on another contract but it seems unlikely with some of the participants such as Scaled concentrating on other projects.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm
As far as I remember and understand t/Space are a consortium not bidding for a contract to a customer but a group linked an connected by a contract between the partners that says that the group has the serious intention to develop a space vehicle.

The partners agree by contract on what each partner has to and wants to contribute to that vehicle.

The development of a booster is the task of Air Launch LLC while the deveopment of an airplane for air launch is the task of Scaled. Both are working on developments extremely close to that.

So t/Space is working in principle. The funding needed seems to be for scaling up, for the CXV itself, for tankers.

May be that these two are getting and keeping the funding pump (Burt Rutan) running - Scaled via The Spaceship Company and Richard Branson/Virgin Galactic, Air Launch LLC via DARPA, Air Force and NASA.

The other partners may active as wel - I don't have looks on their activities up to now.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 pm
I was under the impression that the partners agreement was dependant upon them getting a NASA COTS contract and without that there is no partnership.

Another thing to consider is that Scaled has been bought by Lockheed since the original round of COTS bidding and they may have different ideas about where they want the company to go.

Profile WWW